VII

MORNINGS IN ALEXANDRIA were refreshing to Lilith

MORNINGS IN ALEXANDRIA were refreshing to Lilith. The early morning sun pouring through the windows was a welcome change from the dark cement walls of her bedroom back at the Sanctuary.

After getting ready for the day, she went downstairs towards the kitchen. She was staying in a spare room in Rick's house. She figured it was to keep an eye on her and make sure she doesn't hurt anyone out of the blue, which frustrated her since the reason she was even there in the first place was to keep an eye on them. But either way, she still enjoyed her temporary living space. She was still obsessed over those white marble countertops.

Even before the world ended, she never had anything like this. What with her dad being a gym teacher and her mom working minimum wage, they took what they could. Nothing else. They were never greedy people, although, her father did have his moments.

Walking into the kitchen, she saw Carl sitting at the counter eating something like a biscuit. She saw his posture change once he noticed her, and she rolled her eyes with a chuckle.

"Good morning to you too."

The boy did not respond. Over the past 4 days, he's gotten increasingly less scared and more annoyed and/or frustrated at her presence. He's been more confident with his words, meaning he doesn't hesitate to speak his mind to her. And honestly, that's a trait Lilith admires.

"Day 4!" Lilith exclaims as she walks towards the fridge, grabbing an apple. "Wonder what we'll do today. I cant believe I'm leaving in a few days. This has felt like a vacation."

Carl glared at her. Lilith smirked.

"Ok. If you're not gonna talk to me, maybe I'll just go off and find someone else to hang out with. Maybe. . . Enid?"

The boy across from her inhaled sharply, "No."

"Oh, come on! Are you seriously still upset about what I said to her? That was 4 days ago. It's over with!" She replied with an annoyed groan.

"No it's not! She lost someone important to her and you mocked her!"

"Ok, yeah, whatever. I get that. But I'm so done with you constantly bringing it up."

"It was messed up."

"Then let me talk to her so I can apologize. Yeah?"

Carl shook his head, "Not a chance."

"Dude, I'm not a monster."

"First I've heard of it."

"Hey! Come on. . . is it so hard for you to realize that I am a human being that can feel remorse?"

"Yes, actually, that is hard for me to realize. In the few days I've known you, all you've done is make my people miserable."

It was Lilith's turn to glare, "I've hardly left this house out of respect for your people's feelings. Please tell me what else I can do to accommodate you." She said that last part with a bit of venom in her voice.