On The Agenda

"alright," i looked around at my teammates who were gathered outside of the bus, "this is one of our last games before the big jv/varsity thing." a couple people rolled their eyes at the idea of the game, so did i. "let's make it a good one, yeah?" i adjusted my bag on my shoulder. "i know you guys can do it, so just...do it." i shrugged while the team laughed.

"nice, where'd you get that from? the book of amazing pep talks?" averman laughed sarcastically. "no," i answered defensively, "nike."

the team laughed again before coach orion piled us into the bus. i sat next to aspen, as usual. connie and julie, across from us, and guy in front of us.

aspen and i played tic-tac-toe on the fogged up window while we waited for the rest of the team to get head-counted. "what the shit!" she scoffed as i laughed at her defeated face. "how do you always win?"

"i'm just that good." i shrugged jokingly. "no, she just knows what she's doing." luis smirked back at us amusingly. "yeah, that's like, the same thing." i looked at him confusedly.

"reed."

"goldberg."

coach counted off the last people who started coming onto the bus.

"conway?" i heard, and aspen and i looked to the front of the bus. we gave each other a confused look before we quickly looked back. "i wanna be on the team, coach. i wanna play two-way hockey. i wanna work under the leadership of you," he looked to me and then back, "and scarlett. i need to get used to changes." he sighed and looked over to me.

i was holding back a laugh, and i think everyone else was too. this was extremely unexpected. i mean, the stubborn charlie conway is..apologizing? no way.

"can i come back?" he asked finally, and coach orion looked surprised. "take a seat," he smiled a little bit, "we're running late." the team erupted into cheers and claps, as charlie took the empty seat next to guy in front of us.

"oh, i wanna work under your leadership. and scarlett's. oh, please." aspen mocked ruffling his hair, while i laughed. "i need to get used to changes, coach." i mocked in a deeper voice, while charlie rolled his eyes.

"ha-ha," he stated dryly while turning around, "very funny." he couldn't hide the smile that spread across his face. "we try." i shrugged, sitting back in my seat.

"glad, your back, conway." aspen smiled, quietly. "thanks." charlie blushed.

"blah." me and julie said at the same time. "shush, it's sweet." connie commented watching the two closely.  "i think it's gross." guy moved slightly away from charlie, with a disgusted face. "whatever." connie rolled her eyes.

"oh, i almost missed you guys. mind if i could have a few words with you and your boys?"

"and girls." julie made sure to comment. "and girls. yes, of course."

"if you can make it quick, dean. we're running late as it is." coach orion said, and i peaked my head up. what was he doing here now? "i'm afraid this is important."

"we have a board meeting scheduled tomorrow, and..." he trailed off looking at all of us, then back to orion. "well, you're all on the agenda." i shared a confused look with my teammates as we stared at each other.

"we have to think long-term here. what's in your best interest. hard as it is for me personally, because you kids have been a breath of fresh air around here," i gave an amused look to aspen, i wonder how hard it was for him to say that, "the board is going to approve the withdrawal of your scholarships."

i looked up to coach orion who had his head in his hands. all of us had looks of disbelief on our faces. if i was anything right now, it's pissed off. i can't believe they're doing this. "now, you'll be welcome to stay through the end of the semester, but after that, it'll be necessary for you to enjoy other educational opportunities."

coach orion turned to all of the mixed looks on our faces, "dean, i need a word with you."

"i think i've said all i needed to say."

"no, now."

the two stepped out of the bus and i immediately turned to the open window next to me, as did most of the team on this side of the bus.

"'other educational opportunities'? what's that supposed to mean?" i head dwayne question. "adios amigo." russ nodded, disappointedly. "oh, i see." dwayne mumbled.

"so, that's it? you're just gonna dump them? just like that?" orion asked, furiously. "coach, i'm sorry," dean said simply, not sounding the slightest bit sorry, "your team isn't preforming, and i've been under enormous pressure."

"oh, from who? the alumni group? a bunch of aging pep clubbers?"

"rick's dad, no doubt." i scoffed. "definitely."
aspen agreed, shaking her head.

"ted, i'm trying to do you a favor. with those kids gone, you'll get to pick your own team. let's face it, the ducks are drowning."

i rolled my eyes, the nerve this man has. kicking us just because he's getting bullied by a bunch of old rich hags? i know charlie took full offense to his last statement by the way a glare took over his face.

"i got my team. either they stay or i go." coach orion defended us, and a small smile filled my lips. i always knew he secretly liked us.

"we'll miss you, ted." he patted coach on his back and walked away.

judging by the look on coach orion's face, it seems as if no one knew that was going to happen. "coach orion's a great coach, why the hell would he do that?" julie sighed, while i slumped back in my seat. "fucking rick." i shook my head.

we all piled out of the bus, averman blabbering, as usual. "shut up." russ quieted him quickly. "is this even legal, coach?" goldberg asked. "i mean, don't we have contract or something?"

"i don't know what it is. all i know his we're gonna fight it." orion stated.

"wait, i have a great idea." i spoke suddenly, remembering something.

-
so, it's been awhile but i've been writing so don't get mad!!

also i just had a bug realization that i started the first book around the time of last years summer vacation. wow.

2-26-22