Captain Who?

After a long, horrible, boring, tiring, Monday, it's finally tryouts. We walked into the rink, I've practiced in here before so I have a pretty good understanding of the layout. They let me practice in here on Sunday so I could be ready for today. "There's varsity." I rolled my eyes at the team who immediately started showing off after they saw us. "They look pretty good." Luis said unsure. "Big deal." Fulton spat looking away.

"They're not so hot." Charlie shook his head. "I don't, man. Some of 'em are pretty good looking." I shrugged jokingly at him. Adam scoffed from behind me and pushed us all towards the rink, "Can we go in yet?" He spoke impatiently.

"If isn't little ducky and her captain." Rick stopped me while I was walking into the rink. "Give it a rest, small dick rick." I spat pushing him off of me. "Get your hands off her." Fulton stepped in front of me. "Ooh, look. A bash brother." Cole laughed pretending to be scared. "Break it up!" The varsity coach yelled pulling the boys away.

Everyone started to mess around but I know the new coach, and I don't really want to start off on his bad side. Coach Orion does not fool around.

"Why aren't ya practicing?" Adam skated a circle around me. "Not feeling it today, I guess." I shrugged leaning on the goal. "Well, why not?" He questioned and I sighed. "I don't really feel like starting off on the new coach's bad side." I said and he laughed. "Have a little fun, it won't kill you." He chuckled and I laughed. "Please, I think you and I both now all I do is have fun."

"Yeah, you got me on that one."

We stopped talking when we heard a whistle. Our heads turned to the front of the room and we saw Charlie on the ground and the new coach standing in front of him. "My name is Coach Orion. You can call me coach, or Coach Orion." He looked around us sternly. Adam and I skated up to the group while Charlie put out his hand. "Well, you can call me Charlie." He joked and the group laughed.

I knew right here, they aren't going to be a good match. "That must be what that 'C' on your jersey stands for, huh? It sure doesn't stand of 'captain'." He pointed to Charlie's jersey and the team looked away. "We're just messing' with you, you know?" Russ tried to lighten the conversation up. "Bombay gave him that 'c'." Goldberg defended the boy.

"And I respect that, but that's the past. This is my team now, and I'll be selecting the captain."

"You've gotta be kidding me right? I mean, you're the rookie here." Charlie laughed in shock and my mouth dropped open. "Charlie, enough." I whispered nudging him a little. "No, I mean, we've all been together for over four years."

"Okay, Charlie, laps. Right now." Coach Orion said blankly. "How many, Coach Orion." He spat unraveling himself out of the rope. "I don't recall saying." The man fired back and Charlie took off skating around the rink.

"Listen up, and listen good. We're here for one reason, and one reason only. You know what that is? It starts with a 'W'." He asked looking at Averman. "To win Coach Orion, sir!" Averman chanted back like a solider. "Oh god." I mumbled putting my head down. "No. To work. High school hockey is very hard work. And it all begins, with defense..."

After that I zoned out until we started to practice and show him what we could do.

-

"I will teach you how to play like a what? Starts with a 'W'!" Charlie mocked Coach Orion while we made our way into the locker room. "Wussies." Averman piped in. "That's right. Wussies on offense and defense."

"Would you shut up already?" I groaned while Coach Orion walked into the room. "Eden Hall Academy requires you to maintain a 'C' average to compete. I believe that's a bad rule." He spoke while walking past us all. "Cool!" Goldberg nodded excitedly.

"I don't want any 'C' players on my team. I want B's or better, or you're gonna be riding the pine pony. Now you got 15 minutes after each practice to clear this locker room. You got homework to do. Oh, one more thing. Stay clear of the varsity until we play 'em in the J.V.- Varsity Showdown." And with that he walked away.

"Guy, he posted our positions." I got up and scanned the paper. Everyone started complaining about there positions while I tried to look for my name. "I'm not even posted." Adam said shocked. "No, yeah, you are. Adam Banks, third line, center. Varsity?" I took a better look at the paper. "I made varsity?" He questioned walking away.

"That's the great thing about being a goalie y'know? You always know where you stand." Goldberg spoke up happily. "I wouldn't be too sure about that, buddy." I laughed turning to look at him. "You're riding the pine pony, pal." Averman laughed at him.

"Guys, there's gotta be a mistake. He put Aspen on the list." I spoke while my finger glided over her name on the paper. "What, you saying I'm not good enough to play with you guys?" A voice spoke from the front of the room. I spun around and my jaw fell open. "You've gotta be shitting me. Am I hallucinating?" I breathed out blinking a couple times.

"No, asswipe. Are you gonna give me a hug or what, bitch?" The redhead that I was all too familiar with stood at the front of the room in hockey gear. "Aspen Johnson, you fucking asshole. When did you get back." I threw my arms around her neck and everyone got up to say hello. "Two nights ago. Decided I wanted to spend high school with my family." She smiled and we all cheered.

"Uh, guys. Who's Cameron Dalton." Adam spoke up staring at the paper. The rest of the team went to look at the paper while me and the three girls stood there still. "Who?" I asked just to make sure I heard that right. "Cameron Dalton, his could you ever forget me?" I heard from behind me. "Why me?" I mumbled to myself before turning around.

"No!" Connie yelled while Aspen jumped up and down. "Yes! Connie get your twenty bucks ready, bitch." She laughed dancing around. I turned back around and walked to my stuff ignoring him. "Captain: Scarlett Anderson." Julie spoke walking away from the paper. "What?" Both Charlie and I exclaimed walking up to the sheet. "Captain who?"

"Oh, you've gotta be kidding me." Charlie pushed past me and I moved back a bit. "That's right, bitch! My best friends captain and my other ones a starter now." Aspen kept dancing around the room while the rest of the team just tried to hurry up and get out.

-
hey! I've got a test tomorrow and im so scared.

I hope you all like everything so far