Chapter Thirty-Six

"I would've beat her ass from that classroom to the next. Do you hear me?" Dressed in a fluffy pink robe, Kenya walked around their dorm room grabbing hair and makeup items that she'd need to get ready for the game that night. "She has her eyes on you? What the fuck - she needs to keep an eye on this left hook that I got for her if she don't stop messing with my girl."

    "She doesn't scare me."

    "She doesn't?" Kenya asked, holding an earring to her ear while checking out her reflection on the wall mirror. "I don't even know her and she scares the fuck out of me. The bitch sounds crazy. Straight up looney tunes, and I don't got time for all of that."

    "All right, so maybe she scares me a little." Tatiana folded her arms across her chest, too anxious to sit. "I really don't think I should go to that game tonight."

    "Don't make me slap you," Kenya said.

    Tatiana sighed. "If Aisha wanted to, she could make life hell for Aubrey. That's the last thing I'd want."

    "That girl needs to learn that rejection is a bitter ass pill, but shit - we all gotta swallow it sometime. And Drake is the nigga she was after. I mean hello. You don't go after a man like that without realizing that it might not end up the way you want it to. The bitch needs a dose of reality served to her ice cold. Shit."

    "Going to the game seems like a bad idea."

    "Going to the game seems like what your ass should do," Kenya said, picking up another earring and turning her head to the side. "You two bat your eyelashes at each other any longer and your eyelashes are going to fall the fuck off. I mean...it's time, Tati. Okay? And it's just a fucking basketball game. What is she going to say? You and Drake sat next to each other, so you should get expelled? Just don't ride his dick in front of the entire stadium and you'll be fine." Said in typical Kenya fashion.

    "Okay." Tatiana bit her bottom lip.

    A knock sounded on the door.

    Kenya scratched her head. "Are you expecting someone?"

    Tatiana shook her head. "Nope."

    "Then who..." Kenya stalked over to the door and yanked it open. Her rich, brown complexion paled. "Eric?"

    Eric, looking suave in a thin ivory sweater and dark jeans, smiled at her. "Hey."

    Wide-eyed, Kenya slammed the door closed in his face and frantically pressed her back against it.

    Confused, Tatiana walked over to her. "What just happened?"

    "He just saw me without my face on," Kenya whined. She sounded like she was hyperventilating.

    "You mean, he saw you without makeup?"

    Kenya nodded. Then she ran over to her makeup case and flipped it open. She smoothed a hand across her face. "I have to apply foundation. A little bit of highlighter at least."

    "Are you serious?" Tatiana asked.

    "Don't start, Tati."

    "You feel like you have to wear makeup for him to be able to see you?"

    "Will you help me instead of standing there, trying to think of some speech to give me about self-acceptance?" Kenya demanded.

    Tatiana let her arms fall at her sides. "Help you? Yeah." She went to the door and opened it.

    Eric still stood on the other side, looking confused. "Is she okay?"

    "Yeah," Tatiana responded. "Come in."