"Care to repeat that?" He said through gritted teeth.

"I said," Ophelia took one daring step closer, "no."

"Ophelia, you know I've been patient with you," he said, anger barely restrained, "and I ask you to do one thing for me, and you can't even manage that."

She swallowed thickly, looking over at her mother who was frowning. Ophelia bit her lip, looking her father in the eyes again. Her emotions felt bruised, and even though she wanted her father to be proud of her, she couldn't stop thinking about her brother and how he always chose empathy.

It showed in the way he was so very thoughtful of everyone around him. He was already stepping into the shoes of the great man he was destined to be. And what would he think of her if she didn't fight to find the courage to do what was right for others.

"I won't deceive him, not when I know that there's things you're not telling me," Ophelia refused.

And then her father smiled. It was frightening, and it made her wish she'd never said anything in the first place.

"I'll tell you," he smirked, "when it's the right time."

Ophelia shook her head, looking away. She hated when he did that, when he spoke in secrecy like she was only worth an explanation when she could be useful to him.

"Whatever," she said quietly.

"Your mother and I are going out for dinner tonight," her father turned his back to her, walking to the door. "Be a good girl and cook for Ana, will you?" He said before closing the door behind them.

Ophelia clenched her fists, punching the wall before throwing herself on the bed and screaming into her pillow. She shut her eyes tightly but the angry tears pushed their way out anyways.

The knock on her window startled her. Ophelia quickly dried her tears, looking at the clock, it wasn't even six yet. She let out a frustrated sigh and made her way to the window, pushing it open with force.

"Cory, I told you- oh.." She took a shaky breath, "what are you doing here?"

Snape frowned at the state of her. She'd been crying, her cheeks red and puffy, eyes narrowed and confused. She was angry, no, she was fuming.

"I'm not sure."

Yes, definitely a mistake, he thought. But before he could make his escape, she spoke again.

"I'm glad that you're here, actually."

Seeing him outside her window comforted her, it was like seeing an old friend; except he wasn't old, and he wasn't a friend. But there was something soothing in his eyes, and she could feel her body relax and brain begin to function again.

Snape raised his eyebrows, his heart fluttering, "you are?"

She nodded, "I just had a really fucking shitty day."

Ophelia leaned on the windowsill, hoping he'd be open for a conversation, because he was the only one she'd imagined could understand. And when he moved closer to the window, she took it as a sign that he was listening.

"What I saw in the woods," she had to look away before continuing, "it really messed with me."

Snape's heart beat faster at the invitation to learn more about her.

"I know," he answered, "I can hear the pain that swirls in your head."

"How do you read my mind so easily?" She asked, not offended, not angry, it was like she wanted him to know.

Snape shook his head. "I don't know," he said softly, "but all those things that hurt you, Ophelia, might have nothing to do with you at all."

She furrowed her eyebrows when he stepped even closer, reaching out for her. She quickly licked her lips, and caught him looking down before closing her eyes, as she thought for sure he was about to kiss her. But then he plucked a stray eyelash so gently off her cheek.

"Make a wish," he whispered, his voice had the lilt she knew so well, his words soft with the smile that already played on his lips.

Ophelia let out a breath, opening her eyes to stare into his. She didn't just look at him, she looked into him like she knew his desires. He wondered what she had wished for, trying to read it off of her. But she was trying to be indifferent, it doesn't do to let someone with an ego like his know how much power he has.

"I have to go," he said suddenly.

Ophelia frowned, "where?"

Snape backed away slowly, "I can't tell you."

She laughed, "are you being serious?"

"I am."

She shook her head. "Fine, don't fucking tell me, then," she snarled and pushed the window shut.

And then the pain ebbed, turning into rage. Because that's all she was, hatred and rage and all she ever wanted was for someone to give a damn about how she felt.

She pushed herself away from the window, swinging her door open and marching through the house. The door to her father's office slammed against the wall as she looked around the room, her eyes twitching and body shaking. She had never entered his office without knocking first, it's how they trained her, it wasn't her space and she didn't belong there. If he wasn't going to tell her his secrets, she'd find out on her own.

She started at his desk, pulling the drawers out and poured everything on the floor, and then the shelves, and the cabinets. She tore the place apart. She fell to her knees, rummaging through the papers and drying her tears roughly with the palm of her hand. And then she saw it, the handwriting was as neat as the cut that opened the envelope. It was addressed to her father, a dinner invitation.

What the fuck is Malfoy manor?

That's where her parents must be going.

"Ophelia?"

She froze.

"Heey, Ana," she said cautiously, had she been there the whole time?

"What are you doing?" Ana stood in the doorway, looking around the room in confusion.

"Oh, uhm.. this?" Ophelia motioned to the mess, "I was just looking for, uh.." she scratched her neck.

"Dad said you'd make me dinner."

"Oh, yeah, sure," Ophelia smiled in relief, standing up and muttering a cleaning spell as they left the room.