chapter three

Sumayya smiled softly as she ate her breakfast along with her family. She started coming out of her room more these days. And pretended everything was fine. Her family too has let go of the anger and started behaving normally with her. Or so it seemed.

It felt good to be like this again though.
All the silent treatment has impacted her way too negatively.

"Inara has invited us all to her house today," Sohaib announced looking at everyone.

Inara was her lovely pupho, who also happens to be the mother of Irtaza. They were both polar opposites. Sumayya sometimes wondered how can Irtaza ever be a son to such an awesome lady. She loved her aunt.

But the thought of visiting her home made her feel uncomfortable and anxious. Things weren't quite normal yet.

Shahveer and Shehryaar smiled at each other knowingly and then nodded to their father.

"It's Irtaza's official engagement today. I hope you'll behave yourself, Sumi." Sanaya, her mother spoke to her a little coldly.

Apparently not everything is forgotten. It's almost impossible in the desi family that they let go of your mistake easily without taunting you at every given chance.

Sumayya sighed inwardly, faking a smile. Hearing about Irtaza's engagement again made heart almost squeeze in pain. Why the hell was it hurting like that? It's been a week since he texted her that morning, rubbing it in her face that he is capable of getting any girl he wants. Why did that bother her so much anyway.

"I'm not attending it if you're so concerned, ammi."

Her mother was still bothered that Irtaza has broken off their engagement. He was such a good boy according to them. Maybe he was. But never to her. She had all the valid reasons to say no. But the thought of him marrying someone else twisted her heart painfully nevertheless.

She couldn't understand why though.

"Well, we are going. You're welcome to join us. Or if you don't want to come, no one is forcing you either." Her father added softly and they resumed their breakfast after an uncomfortable silence.

The rest of the day wasn't the same anymore. Sumayya felt restless and annoyed throughout the day. Feeling quite bored, she decided to go on a shopping spree. She has saved up some money with her internship and all those eidi money can finally come to use.

They did have plenty of money actually. But it was her fathers. And she has sworn to not waste her dad's money just because she can.

"Where are you going?" Sanaya asked her curiously, while the whole Mirza family was ready to go to the Riaz mansion.

She looked at them all with a fake smile and muttered, "I'm going shopping with Maham. She will be picking me up in two minutes."

"Oh, okay. Take care of yourself then. Don't stay out too late. You should be back before ten-thirty." Sanaya's voice softened a little and she smiled a real smile for the first time that day whilst nodding her head.

Even in anger, mothers always cared about us.

"Do you need any money?" Her father's sudden voice from behind startled her but she shook her head in negative as the smile remained constantly on her face.

"Keep this with you anyway. What if there was an emergency." Sohaib gave her his card. She felt touched by their love and concern for her. Being the only daughter had its charm sometimes.

The twins have always envied her for that. She got away from so many things just because it was her.

"Okay then. I'll leave now."