Chapter 81

The heat was stiffling but not that was not the worst of it.  I was trapped.  Trapped within the soft but suffocating confines of the blasted blankets.  I struggled in futile then pried open my eyes still sealed shut from an interrupted nights sleep.

"Lucian!"

I called out frantically. But the deeply threatening snarl I received in return shocked me into an abrupt silence.  I stared into the pitch darkness of the room to the corner where I instinctively knew Lucian stood waiting.... in his full blown predator form.

I stilled my movements and ignored my discomfort.  There were other things here at stake more than the mere risk of stifling to death in the heat.

"Lucian? " I whispered after a while trying not to startle him into doing something wrong like devouring me whole.

"Kira!"

I took a deep calming breath before saying just as softly, "Lucian,  its alright. You're okay. I am fine."

I continued on murmuring soothing nonsense not really aware of what I was saying only that I had  to say something. But it seemed to be working lulling the beast that was Lucian back into his more socially acceptable state.

It was  some time later that he had calm down sufficiently to say," Are you alright?"

" As right as I can be being stiffled half to death in this thing. Can you let me out now?" I asked almost plaintively.  I couldn't help the whiny tone that entered my voice I really did need to get out of the wrap.

He inched his way slowly towards the bed. His movements elegant if exagerately cautious.  " You should be thankful for that stiffling blanket.  Its the only reason why I haven't eaten you whole."

I gaped at him in the dark. Feeling suddenly decidedly uncertain about having the suffocating blanket removed from my person.

"Emm...Lu.."

But I was too late for Lucian was already there carefully prying open the blankets that shrouded me. Only he didn't stop with just the blankets.

"Lucian!  What are you doing? "

But he took no notice of my wiggling objections till I was as naked as him. Then he laid down beside me and wrapped me up in his arms. A sensation of an entirely different kind swamped me whole. Swamped us both.  Where there had been discomfort and the fear before there was only the most deliciously thrilling feel that errupted into the slow thudding beat of my heart.

Wrapped up in his arms I understood why he had done it.  It had been to alleviate his own fears as much as my own.  The fear he would have felt over nearly causing my death again would have been horrendous.  This intense attractions we felt for each other served to shield us from fears of what had almost happened.

I clutched him close to me. As close as I could possibly get and blinked back the threatening tears. But they fell regardless.  Fell for his pain. For his frustrations.  For the hopelessness of our situation and then ... then they fell for me.

" Shh..don't cry..," he murmured hoarsely sounding very much like he'd shed a few tears of his own. I couldn't tell in the dark and pressed together as we were it was hard to discern anything. I had already been slick from sweat before.  Tears just dampened me even more. Mine and his.

" Hushhh...we'll...we'll...be alright, " I mumbled feebly not really believing it anymore.  I had  been so hopeful before but now... Now I felt as devastated as Lucian clearly was.

I held him close and murmured soothing nonsense again this time encouraging him to join me being miserable together over our uncertain future.

We spent a good while sobbing and then comforting each other in turns but then exhaustion took over. At least it did for me. Gladly I gave into it. Succumbing back into the deep void of sleep.