9

A few of the other Snape children followed in behind the governess as she made her way to the man of the house, her hand outstretched. In it, was a crisp and clean letter with the Ministry's unmistakable plum seal stamped on it. "So sorry to interrupt, sir, this just came in."

Her eyes flicked over to Hermione holding the boy and her face soured. Ollie never let her hold him like that.

Snape took the letter from her fingers, eyeing it sceptically. What did they want now? There was always something, wasn't there? They never would leave him alone. Was it about his unending trial? They had cleared him, sent him home. Why would they bring it up again? Was it something else? He noticed she had an identical envelope in her hand, which only confused him. What the devil was this about? "We were just about done. You may be excused until this evening."

The blonde wasted no time in turning around and leaving the room, hurriedly tearing open the letter. From down the hall, Hermione could have sworn she heard the girl gasp. Turning to her mentor, she frowned. "What's all that about?"

The man shook his head and took a deep breath. "Surely, nothing good. Shall we find out?"

He walked over to the open study, taking the letter opener from the desk, slowly sliding through the paper, listening to it tear. Whatever it was, Daphne had been involved as well, and her reaction had not been a good one. After closing the study door securely, he walked back to his seat and sat comfortably before opening the note. His apprentice was obviously very curious to know what it was about and he would be lying if he said he wasn't every bit as much himself. Unfolding the letter, he scoffed at the official letterhead, though his annoyance turned to complete disdain as he read through it once. Then twice. After the third time, he passed it to his protegée, and with everything he could muster, he managed not to tear it to shreds.

Damned Ministry meddling in the lives of others.

Ministry of Magic - Department of Magical Families Liaison

Professor Emeritus Severus T. Snape,

You are hereby informed of Law №64824C - Commonly referred to in the media as the 'Marriage Law'. You have exactly three (3) months to be remarried in order to aid in the reconstruction of wizarding society and the growth of the population. Should you refuse this mandatory request or fail to be married in the time allotted, you will be sentenced to Azkaban. Your sentence will depend on the severity of your insubordinance. All eligible witches, wizards, and wixen must take part in the rebuilding of what was once our great society.

Thank you for your time and consideration,

Rhea Fitzgibbons

Department of Magical Families Liaison

Hermione felt her jaw drop. She was certain it would have hit the floor if it could. Hit the floor and bounce back to smack her. Could they even process such a law? They had fought a war against prejudice and blood purity for what? To turn witches into baby-making factories? To remind grieving widowers that their wives were six feet under? Gods, it was absurd! How had this passed at all? How could the Minister allow something so archaic and harmful?

And then it hit her. The loss of the Second War and the Battle of Hogwarts was phenomenal. Even people who had made it out alive had lived through terrible survivor's guilt. Some couldn't handle it. The nightmares, the injuries sustained, the loss of their loved ones. Others could not live with themselves after what they had done. What they had had to do to survive.