3

The host led her down the corridor, lit only by lanterns and lamps. His hand floated over her back, never touching her, though its presence there was enough to push her forward ever so gently.

At the end of the hall, he produced a key, handing it over to her. Hermione eyed it curiously. A key? I key was so simple compared to a locking charm, or wards. He smirked, sensing her confusion. "A key is easier to hide from half a dozen children," he said softly, his voice low. "The incidences of uncontrolled accidental magic in this household go up every day,"

She nodded, lifting her eyes to meet his, pleasantly surprised to find kindness looking back at her. She liked this version of him. This person that he was when he was at home, surrounded by family and this beautiful magic. "Magical children tend to have more ease breaking through family wards," she explained, knowing it was what he meant. "I learnt that in a magical genealogy book I found at Grimmauld Place,"

He dipped his head in acknowledgement before coming back the way he came. "Feel free to set down your things and unpack. The house elf will call you for supper,"

Encouraged by the lightness in his tone, she let out a deep breath. Now alone before her door, she could finally breathe normally. There would be an adjustment period, of course. Given her first impression, she feared it may be more difficult than anticipated. Though, not for the reasons she'd initially assumed.

A snap of elf magic sounded next to her, resulting in a gasp and undignified shriek. "Oh good heavens, I'm sorry," she laughed, eyeing the creature.

The elf had unusually large eyes. All house elves did, though this one seemed to have bigger eyes than others she'd met. The beast wore a clean cotton pillowcase, been recently freed it seemed. Then why was the elf in the employ of her former teacher? "Is the new Miss having troubles? Bitsy can be of service,"

The apprentice smiled, fingering the key nervously. "Hello Bitsy, you can call me Hermione. Have you been with Master Snape long?"

Bitsy nodded, her great floppy ears flapping about wildly. "Yes, Bitsy has been with the Master since before the biggest little one," she said proudly. "The Master treats Bitsy very well and given Bitsy many clothes on behalf of the Mistress' wishes. Bitsy misses the Mistress dearly,"

Hermione sighed. "You must indeed," she replied. "If you've been given clothing, can't you leave?"

The house elf gasped, her spindly fingers coming to her face. "And leave the many little ones? Oh no, Miss, Bitsy mustn't," she reached for the key and stuck it in the lock, giving it a sharp quarter turn. "Here, Bitsy will help the new Miss settle in before supper,"

The door opened, the witch taking the few steps into it. The room was completely dark. With a whispered lumos! she was able to find the lamps. Another wave of her wand lit them, revealing a large oak bedframe pressed up against the wall. The set of drawers and the wardrobe matched, the floor was old wood too.

Another snap from Bitsy and the slight dust disappeared entirely, a waft of something she faintly recognised painted the air as she took a deep breath. Something definitely earthy, and almost... spiced?

Her fingers brushed over the dresser, setting her beaded bag upon it. "Bitsy, do you think I could have some sort of bookshelf in here? I do love books and brought quite a few of my own,"

The house elf held out her hands. "New Miss must put books in the study or the living space, go explore, Bitsy will put away your things,"

The study? Was she allowed in the study?

Ever the curious witch, she couldn't help but ask. "Where does Daphne sleep? I imagine she must stay near the children?"

Having emptied out the beaded bag on the bed, Bitsy had already begun resizing and putting away trinkets and clothes. "Miss Daphne stays upstairs. No one is allowed in this room until you, Miss. Master's special request,"