"Uh, Hulk, Thor, Black Widow and Hawkeye. They-"

"Hold on," I interrupt Wanda, "Black Widow?"

"Natasha Romanoff. Why?"

"I- she was- I worked in the Red Room unit at Hydra and Natalia was there." I pause for a few moments, trying to process what I've just been told.

"Is there any way I could get to Steve or Natasha?" I question again.

"If you're trying to stay hidden from authorities," Pietro answers, "no."

"Great." I sigh.

~~~~~~

A years passes and I still live in Sokovia. I've been working on the construction of a block of flats for a few months and have managed to blend in with the locals. I head back into town after I finish my shift, to notice a few odd things about the fort that stands across the river. There's a lot of shouting mixed with screaming and gunshots, a few explosions and someone flying up to it.

Suddenly, something very unfamiliar happens. Blue and sliver robots land in front of citizens, telling us that "this quadrant is unsafe" and "we are here to help." I stare at them for a moment or so before I notice the Stark Industries logo on them. I sprint back to my apartment and call both Pietro and Wanda, only to have no one to pick up either phone. I rush back out onto the street and towards the forest, realising that this was probably a dumb idea but I've already committed to it.

On top of a heap of snow, I observe the battle. People in black suits with the Hydra logo sprint towards a woman in a Black Widow suit, a man with an arrow, one with a red cape and long blond hair, a green-skinned man and Captain America. Captain America?! Steve! I sprint towards him, knocking out a few Hydra Agents on the way. I get yelled at a few times by both the Hydra Agents and who I believe to be the Avengers. I skid across the snow to Steve, grabbing his attention.

"Steve!" I yell, as he quickly turns around.

"Laurie?!" he shouts, surprised and confused, "what are you doing here?"

"Just found an... old friend." he says to someone after I hear a faint murmur.

"It's a long story." I chuckle slightly.

"You see that jet over there?" he says, "go hide in there. I'll come get you in a bit."

"Steve, let me-"

"Go!" He yells, pointing to the jet. Just as I go to leave, the woman in the Black Widow suit lands next to me from jumping off one of the ledges.

"Laurie!" she smiles as I stare at her blankly, "it's me, Natalia."

"Natalia?" I gasp, "oh my god." She quickly pulls me into a hug, then stands in disbelief.

"Nat! Get Laurie to the Quinjet!" Steve shouts as Nat leads me to the plane.

"Wait here." She says, and heads back into the field.

Shortly after, the blond man carries one of his teammates into the jet and lays him on the table.

"What happened to him?" I question.

"Who are you?" The man says, his voice deeper than most.

"I'm Laurie," I smile, "I'm a friend of Steve and Nat's."

"Wait," the man on the table winces, "are you the Laurie?"

"The Laurie?"

"Nat told me a lot about you," he smiles, clutching his side, "I'm Clint and he's Thor."

"Thor? Like the Norse God of Thunder?"

"Yes, yes, that's me." Thor chuckles and walks out the jet.

"Is he going to help you with your injury or?"

"More than likely not," Clint laughs, "I wouldn't expect him to."

"Do you want some help?" I chuckle.

"Sure." He agrees and I help him with his wound.

"What happened anyway?" I ask.

"Some punk ran past me and caught my side; he was too quick to see though."

"Did he say anything?"

"All he said was 'you didn't see that coming' then he ran off." He mocks the person.

"Pietro." I whisper to myself.

"Who?"

"Just a friend from around here." I smile and Clint nods.

"Alright, that's it, all wrapped up!" one of the men say as the rest of the team enter the jet, "why is there a slightly abandoned looking man sitting in my jet."

"Tony, that's my friend Laurie," Steve says, "Tony, Laurie Emerson, Laurie, Tony Stark."

"Stark?" I question.

"Emerson?" Tony asks at the same time as me.

"I'm confused," says a sheepish man, "what's going on?"

"You're Tony Stark?" I ask, "son of Howard Stark?"

"Yep," he smiles, "and you worked with him at the S.S.R."

"Yes, that's me." I sigh.

"Wait, you're British?" Nat asks.

"And he's British," I laugh, mocking an American accent, "sorry."

"Can we get back to the tower before I die?" Clint asks.

"By the way," Steve begins, "that's Doctor Bruce Banner." He points to the one person I hadn't been introduced to yet.

"What does Clint mean by 'the tower'" I question.

"The Avengers Tower in Midtown Manhattan," Steve answers, "it's where we live."