16 - Sokovia

Surprisingly, I wake up halfway down a river, strewn out across a few rocks with water running between the gaps in my fingers. I sit up slowly, drenched from the stream and bruised from what I think was me travelling downstream. I take the gun holster off of myself and lift up my shirt to see the wound has stopped bleeding.

Removing my jacket, shirt, and tie, I attempt to wash out the blood but fail, so I squeeze out the water and put my shirt back on without buttoning it up. I reattach my holster and sling my jacket over my shoulder and limp through the forest, humming 'American Pie' by Don McLean under my breath.

I wander down into a nearby village, stealing some jeans and a shirt off a random clothesline so I don't look quite as discarded. I slip my gun into my back pocket and pull a hoodie over myself, keeping my hood up, before I see their medical centre and go inside.

Noticing that I don't have any money with me, I sneak a few supplies into my pockets and leave the store without being seen. I find a quiet alley to patch up my wounds and make myself look a little more presentable.

After, I go back onto the street and keep walking, hoping to not draw any attention to myself. On my adventure through the town, I pick up a few newspapers outside stalls and read that I'm in a town called 'Sokovia.'

Each house is a light terracotta colour, like the streets of Greece but darker, with an uneven cobbled path. Occupied civilians stroll through the lanes, stopping at stalls to pick up food, clothing and other items. I remove myself from the crowds after spotting a rather large fort sitting out of place upon the hill.

Sneaking out of the market, I end up wandering through another forest but on the other side of the town. A dirt track is visible from where cars have been rolling back and forth between the village and the fort. I follow it deeper into the forest, sliding the gun out of my pocket and into my hand, just in case.

However, a swift brush of air knocks my gun out my hand, removes the magazine from it and makes me fall to the ground. I sit up in confusion as a young-looking man stands in front of me.

"You didn't see that coming?" He smirks while laughing.

"Oh, you pain in the neck," I grumble, standing up to match his height, "can I help you?"

"Nah," he chuckles, "just passin' through." I ignore him and continue through the forest towards the fort, leaving the man behind me. That is until he runs up to me.

"So, what brings you here?" He places his hand on my shoulder. Instead of responding, I turn around to attack him but he dodges out the way.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa!" he holds his hands out and raises his voice, "not so fast, hot shot!"

"Don't call me that." I say sternly, the man folding his arms and pouting.

"What can I call you?"

"Anything but that." I reply, walking off.

"Old man?"

"No."

"Lost boy?"

"No."

"Mystery man?"

"Should be calling you that."

"My name is Pietro, thank you very much."

"Listen 'Pietro,' I don't care, I don't have time for this." I shake my head.

"Wow, ok, rude," he jokes, "where you going?" I stop in my tracks and turn to face him.

"Why do you care?"

"I'm bored," he says, "plus, my sister is here too."

"Your sister?"