The doorbell rings and it echoes through the house. I make to get up, but Margot gets up before me.

"I'll get it." she mumbles, disappearing in through the back doors.

"I have a joke." Jackson looks up from the packet of the snack he just ate.

We all stop talking, preparing to listen.

"How does the moon cut his hair?"

He looks at us all expectantly.

"I have no idea." I lean on my hands, amused.

"I didn't know the moon had hair." Neki says under his breath, and Bela giggles.

"Eclipse it." Jack finishes.

For a few moments, we're silent. And then I burst in to laughter. I'm laughing so hard my ribs hurt. I can hear everyone else laughing too, probably at me, but I'm laughing so hard that I can't even open my eyes.

"Did I miss the joke?"

My laughter stops and my eyes snap open at the voice. What the...

My father is stood beside Margot, who is looking slightly guilty, a bouquet of flowers in his hand. My stomach sinks, every inch of happiness I was feeling with it.

"I hope you don't mind." Margot says to all of us, but her eyes are on me. "I thought it would be nice.

I do mind. I don't want him here. This is my happy place. I had no intention of 'spending time' with my father before he left again tomorrow, just like he hasn't had time to hang out with me in the past 3 years that he's failed to come home for Christmas.

My eyes fall to my hands that are rested in my lap. I do mind, but I'd never tell her that in her own home.

My dad places the flowers on the table in front of me, mumbling something about how he got back too late to get them on Tuesday. I don't look up, simply nodding.

He sits at the table across, at the end beside Margot. I can feel Bela's eyes on me, in no doubt full of concern, but I can't bare to look up. The chatter continues as it was, a bit quieter, a little less full of happiness.

Parker's hand finds my thigh beneath the table, stroking with his thumb. Usually, this would make me flustered and hot, but I feel numb, like I'm about to throw up in my mouth.

"I have another joke." Jackson says about 10 minutes later.

I glance up, willing to engage in the conversation if it involves one of Jack's jokes.

He clears his throat. "What do you call a poor Santa?"

We all sit quietly, waiting.

"St Nickel-less."

For a moment, there's silence.

I slap my hand over my mouth, my shoulders shaking. Everyone else laughs politely, and I snort, covering my face with both hands to stifle my laughter.

"El?" I hear Isabela's voice, but I can't stop laughing. "El are you okay?"

I nod, even though I'm laughing so hard I can't breathe. I gasp for air in between my laughter and I feel a hand on my back.