21

PARKER'S POV

We've been in the airport for around an hour now and I'm getting a little impatient. James is to my left, my mom to the left of him, Kaneki and Jack on the other side with...

I look up from James' phone. Elena's eyes are closed, her head nodding forwards a little. Getting to see her face makes my heart beat a little faster. I've been avoiding her for the past week since that time on the porch. No, not because I tried to kiss her and she swerved me; I'm a big boy, my ego isn't that fragile. I'm avoiding her because now that I'm certain she isn't interested, I'm making whatever... this is, that I feel for her, doesn't turn into anything more. I don't have time for it.

Neki wakes up, coming over to join us as my mom appears.

"We're boarding in 5 minutes." she says quietly, signing the number 5. I smile at her.

She turns, walking over to Elena. I watch as she wakes her, her pretty eyes opening. Neki says something which pulls my attention away and I get to my feet, following after my parents. She's walking behind them, holding my brother's hand as we leave the gate and board the plane. I watch as she runs a hand through her hair, as she leans down to say something to Jack, as she guides him to his seat at the front.

Before I even get a chance to pull my eyes away she's in front of me, looking up. I can see a range of emotions flashing across her face before she pulls her eyes away from mine, moving to sit at the window seat on our row. I slide in beside her, unable to think of anything to say. This is awkward.

I watch as she pulls out the book I bought her the other week. I noticed how upset she was when it got ruined. I couldn't find it in store so I had to order it in, and it took almost 2 weeks to get here.

"Hi." she glances at me, looking away quickly.

I turn to look at her. She's so cute.

"Hey."

"Thanks for..." she holds up the book. "You didn't have to."

"It's fine." I nod briefly.

"Parker," I love when she says my name. Aware of the heat rising in my neck, I turn away."About the other night I-"

Neki appears from behind his seat, looking down at us. Here we go.

"What happened the other night?" he raises his eyebrows.

"Nothing." I mumble.

"Are you guys hooking up again?" he asks.

I'm about to tell him to shut up, but she beats me too it.

"Sit down Neki." she sighs.

I force back a laugh, clearing my throat instead. I pull my AirPods out, putting them both in and closing my eyes. I can't focus with her right next to me. Her warmth, her smell, it's distracting.

It doesn't help. I can feel her. She's everywhere. I can't get her out of my mind, she's infiltrating everything. Going against everything I've been convincing myself for the past couple weeks, I pull my earphones out, turning my head a little to look at her.

"What's it about?" I ask.

Elena looks up from her book, almost in shock.

"Me?" she blinks up at me, her eyes flicking to see if there's anyone else I could be talking to.

"Yes, you." My lips curl up into a smile.

I notice her look down at my mouth, her eyebrows raising almost like she's in shock that I'm showing emotion. Then she brings her eyes back to mine.

"It's about these two people. They like each other, but the guy is too scared to love after a bad experience." she explains.

I almost laugh at the irony.

Her eyes flicker down to the book as she runs her fingers over the cover. She catches me watching her and her cheeks flush pink.

"It's kinda embarrassing." she tucks her hair behind her ear, revealing her neck.

I clear my throat, forcing my eyes away.

"No it's not." I glance at her.

I watch as she looks at me, her head tilted to the side while she studies my face. I look between her eyes.

"What?" I can't help but smile.

"Why are you being so nice to me?" she frowns.

"When am I not nice to you?" I tease.

She laughs. A sweet laugh that warms me. It pleases my ears. I want to make her laugh all the time.

"Like, ever." she raises her eyebrows.

"Lies." I loll my head back on the seat, smiling as I look at her.

Elena bites her lower lips, trying to stop herself from smiling. I wish she wouldn't.

"I'm sorry." I breathe.

Her smile disappears, being replaced with a frown.

"For what?"

"Being an asshole." I say with a sigh.

Elena's eyes fall down to her lap. And then her lips turn up.

"I'm glad you're self aware."

I grin at her, shaking my head.

For majority of the plane ride, we talk. She asks me questions, I answer. I return questions, she answers. We talk. I know we shouldn't be, because the more I find out about her, the more I find myself wanting to know everything about her. Avoiding her isn't going to work anymore.

A few hours later, we stop talking, only because she's softly breathing, her head resting on my shoulder. She stirs often, but doesn't wake up, and doesn't make a noise, compared to Neki who is snoring loudly in front of us.

My own eyes begin to fall shut with tiredness as I given in to the sleep, laying my head on hers.