(8) Nightmare

(A/n: ⚠️ This chapter includes graphic references of heavy injuries in textual form. If uncomfortable, you are advised not to read further for your own peace)

 If uncomfortable, you are advised not to read further for your own peace)

Third Person's POV

It was that nightmare again. 

Taehyung had been having them for quite some time now. He would fall asleep with his husband in his embrace every night just to see said husband get ripped away from him in an increasingly horrifying rate every few nights- kidnapping, murderers, machinery, incinerators, bodies of water, road accidents, natural disasters, there were so many that Taehyung doubted he could even list them all anymore. 

No matter how many he had and how many he'd woken up from just to find the subject of all that agony and torment curled up beside him, warm, alive, perfectly fine and perfectly safe– he could never get used to it. It always felt far too real.

Though, that didn't mean Taehyung couldn't cope. Sure, he often woke up with a pounding heart and a terrible mood, but that was usually it. The sight of Jungkook peacefully sleeping beside him usually soothed him quickly, and telling him about it in the morning and having him turn it into something lighthearted in a way that only he could pretty much extinguished any and all remaining anguish in him by 9 o'clock in the morning. 

At this point in his life, Taehyung figured dealing with nightmares was just something he could do on his own, regardless of how frequent they got. 

That night was just different though. 

❃.✮:▹ ◃:✮.❃

"I-It's fine. Stay with me, you'll be okay" Taehyung stammered, trying to comfort his sobbing husband as he shifted the remains of their collapsed house off of his back, under which he was barely conscious with several crushed body parts. 

"Hyung, it hurts!" He cried when moving one piece of debris disturbed the balance of another piece, causing it to fall onto rubble that was already crushing Jungkook's arm.

"I know, I'm sorry, I jus-!" 

There was another pained cry when a part of the building that had still been standing above them finally gave way. Taehyung reflexively ducked and moved away, but Jungkook was limited for choice when it came to dodging and had no option but to take the extra weight on his frail body. 

"Jungkook?" Taehyung called out into the dust clouds generated by the fallen building, his voice all thin, soft and wispy from the sob he'd suppressed. 

"Are you still conscious? Please keep talking to me" 

"You know, hyung" The dust departed slowly, revealing Jungkook looking Taehyung dead in the eyes, final stray tears drying half-way down his face.