28: Family Relationships

Start from the beginning

"Z, look."

He hung up the phone.

"What?"

He put a magazine on the counter next to Zayn.

"I was just reading through the medical section in the latest issue of Faux Magazine and apparently there's a new birth control pill that's proven to prevent pregnancy at a higher rate than the birth control pills I currently take. And there are less side effects."

"Oh really?"

"Yeah. They did a nationwide study on it with various age groups, races and ethnicities too. So it's a nice sample size."

"That's very interesting."

"It is. Considering you panicked the last time we had sex, I might have to consider this when mine runs out." He laughed out.

"Yeah, sure." Zayn said and he continued to stack lunch meat on top of his bread. Harry also noticed his fake smile never reached his eyes. Something had to be wrong.

"Zayn."

"Hm?"

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm okay. Why?"

"Well, I noticed today when you dropped Benjamin off that you seemed a little down. Did everything go okay with him?"

He put the second slice of bread on top to finish the sandwich.

"Yes everything went fine. It always goes fine with him."

"Yes but usually when you're with him, you're with me. This was the first time you had him alone for the weekend. And plus there was the nosebleed thing and-"

"I told my parents about you and Benjamin."

Harry stood frozen.

"Huh?"

"I told my parents about our relationship and our son."

"You did?"

"I did. They were outside my house last night when I came back with Benjamin. My father was hounding me about the second business he bought me. So I had to tell him the truth. That I have a child and I'm dating his father."

Harry slowly closed the magazine.

"Wow... And... what happened when you told them?"

"Exactly what I thought would happen. He was pissed. Apparently he thinks I never learned responsibility and that making Benjamin was the worst mistake I have ever made."

Harry put a hand on his shoulder. "I'm so sorry."

"Don't be sorry, Harry. He couldn't be more wrong and I know it. Benjamin is not a mistake and I am a responsible man. The truth is he is just unreasonable. I don't know if he'll ever get over what I did in high school. But if he doesn't and he continues to let it affect his viewpoint of me and my family then that's his loss. He'll just never get to know his grandson."

Harry saddened as he watched Zayn put everything away.

"So Benny didn't meet them yesterday when they came by?"

"No. He was all tuckered out after that nosebleed and crying session he had. Then we went out for ice cream and then dinner afterwards. By the time we got home, he was already sleep and I put right him to bed."

"Wait. Ice cream and then dinner?"

"Harry."

"What? I'm just saying, you usually don't see it in that order. That's all."