14: Fair Tradeoff

"Bye, Benny. I'm going to miss you so much. You can always call me on the phone and talk to me if you want, okay? I'll be home. And don't forget to wash your hands, put your toys away and help grandma, okay?"

He leaned in to whisper now.

"And remember our secret. Only you and I should know about Papa. Okay?"

"Okay."

"I love you."

Gemma closed the trunk to her car and came around just as he was stepping back from the car.

"You do this every time."

"I do what?"

"That... stuff."

"Tell my child I love him?" He asked as he closed Benjamin's door.

"No. You say goodbye like he's going away for two years. He's just spending the night. He'll be back tomorrow."

"I know."

"And it's not like you're not away from him sometimes. You have a regular babysitter. Or do you also do this with Niall?"

"No. I don't do this with Niall because Benjamin doesn't go anywhere. Niall comes to me. But this is different. He's going away and I'm going to be home alone."

Gemma put a soft hand on his shoulder.

"Harry, let me tell you what you should do for days like this."

"What?"

"Find a boyfriend."

"Gemma, no."

"Yes, Harry. It would help you fill the time when Benjamin comes to stay with us. Plus you can't use the college excuse anymore. You've been out of school for six months and you've been settled in this new house for like five, almost. It's time."

He folded his arms.

"Gemma, I don't need a boyfriend. I have Benjamin and that's what I should worry about."

"Uh, Harry." She leaned in with a lowered voice.

"Having a child doesn't mean you can't have sex."

He frowned.

"It's not about that, Gem. When you bring someone new in your life, you have to make sure that your child is safe around them. There's crazy people in this world and you can't trust everybody."

"That is true."

"So then no boyfriend for me. Because I don't feel like vetting anyone. I'm good the way I am. Just bring my boy back safe, okay?"

She smiled.

"I will. Don't worry. We'll see you tomorrow."

"Bye."

When she got in the car, he stood back and waved to Benjamin once more before blowing a kiss.

Then he watched them back out of the driveway and stood there until he couldn't see them anymore.

That's when he realized he'd been outside with no coat on. Silly him, so focused on getting his son ready that he didn't even think about himself. The life of a parent sometimes.

He slowly walked up the driveway and up to the front door, just as he put his hand on the knob to open the door, he heard the sound of an engine getting closer. At first he thought Gemma was returning, but when he turned around, he realized it wasn't her.

With a look of confusion, he waited until the engine turned off and then watched as a familiar face emerged from the car.

"Hey, what are you doing here?" He called out.