14 | The Attack

XIV | THE ATTACK

The Noble Monarch Tower was more of a mansion with luxurious commodities than anything to do with towers. The only explanation Torai could think of for the name was the small obelisk-like object that rose at the center of a ring of water meant to be a pool. She could never figure out what its purpose was other than for decorations.

It was an odd thing, a stone statue that curved up then bulged at the tip. Apparently, it had been carved by a famous artist in Maritrea, gifted to a Bijouan noble for funding the protection of a seaside city from a disastrous storm. The noble had erected it in the Noble Monarch dormitory as a reminder of his accomplishments, and his descendants held it in great pride. She couldn't understand its appeal.

A little phallic if you ask me, she thought to herself with a frown. It loomed over her, the coolness of its shadow slathering over her. She shivered. It wasn't exactly pleasant when the winds were getting chillier.

Regardless, there was a reason she'd come out here. In the creeping coldness of autumn, the pool was not being utilised. And with how far the place was from the mansion, it offered a fair bit of privacy. Torai liked to come here when she grew tired of the endless political games played by spoiled brats from noble families.

There were some civil students, of course, but most nobles didn't like the sudden exposure to people of equal or higher social standing. Add in the immaturity of their age, and there were more than enough, "Do you have any idea who my family is?" and "My mother/father will know about this!" amidst the tiring numbers game of their wealth.

Torai, being on the poorer spectrum of the Noble Monarchs, had grown tired of it all. She had been blatantly disregarded as not a threat the moment her worth had been revealed, and there were few she could call true friends. It was a struggle the first two years she'd been here, but she had come to the realisation that none of it really mattered. The petty fights would be child's play in the long run, and if the arrogant first-years didn't humble themselves, they'd be humiliated sooner or later.

Letting out a breath, Torai set down her violin case and opened it. Inside was her instrument, specially made by her request to the academy. It had been a bit on the expensive side, but she was a Noble Monarch. She had enough wealth to pay for it.

The violin was made of sterling silver, marked by her sigil right next to the chin rest. Of course, the sound wasn't as rich or pretty as a wooden violin, but that was irrelevant when it came to casting. Material didn't matter when the sigil could carry sound wherever she wanted. It was partially the reason she decided to buy a new instrument, embellished in a way that would never be acceptable in an orchestra.

Torai tied back her dark blue hair then put her violin in place, shifting it until she could comfortably hold it with just her chin and shoulder. Casting with a musical instrument was not unheard of, nor was it uncommon. In fact, she recalled seeing a first-year pass his exam with flying colours by using his viola. It struck her, the way he gracefully moved his fingers, sending out a powerful blast before the blighter could even reach him. She remembered the awe rising in her chest, the music that held so much soul and passion and warmth.

Something about that performance sent her into a panic. Because it was the first time she felt so inadequate for settling for mediocrity. She had been so tired of the academy, so tired of dealing with her peers, that she melded herself into the background, where no one would ever trouble her. She was silent in political fights, invisible in accusations of corruption, and totally lackluster in her studies. To shine in the Noble Monarchs was to make yourself a target. Because jealousy was rampant when there were so many that wanted to prove their skills and not their wealth had earned them a place here.