Chapter 17-Code Red

Trying not to melt under Rebecca's intensifying gaze, I gripped Blake's hand tighter, and continued to walk towards her car confidently. It was completely normal for one to be nervous of their pack member's reaction in similar situations. For that reason, I just didn't want her to be disapproving, even though I knew she would.

I glanced over at Blake, who gave me a reassuring smile and squeezed my hand, which I returned.

When we were both close enough to make out her facial expression, I gulped deeply.

Rebecca eyed our intertwined hands curiously, her eyebrows cocked. Then, she tossed something at me, which I immediately caught with my free hand. I stared at the cool, silver keys in my hand in confusion.

"You're driving." She told me flatly, and then climbed into the backseat. Wait... what? That's it? She didn't even give me a disapproving glare! That's so... not her.

"Well then," Blake suddenly exclaimed with random excitement. I glanced at his grinning face. "I guess that means I've got shotgun!"

I rolled my eyes, shaking my head at the hyper vampire. "You're such a kid."

"Pshhh, I haven't been a kid in decades."

"Obviously." I replied, opening my car door, I paused with my hand on the handle. "Hey, blake?"

Blake was about to get in the car before I called his name, so he paused with one foot in the car. "Yeah?"

"You're kind of hot." I told him, smiling.

He rolled his eyes but returned my smile. "I know."

***

Carmen P.O.V

Rogues.

Why do they even exist? The world would be a much better place if they'd all just die, or something.

I sighed, beginning to feel an overwhelming amount of guilt surge through me. I shouldn't wish death on anyone, even if they were currently trying to kill my pack members. Besides, it's not their faults that they're rogues. Okay, it probably is mostly their faults, but whatever. What are you going to do, right?

I took two deep breaths, trying to calm myself. I didn't like being angry and hateful, it didn't look good on me. It made me ugly. I like to think that I'm a good person, and so much as thinking hatefully made me feel guilty.

"Carmen, let's move it!" dad snapped, causing me to jump slightly and spring into action. I was like a robot high off of candy, speed packing my clothes and other personal items.

My mom walked into the room, she was just as frantic as everyone else. "That's enough, Carmen, we really need to get going." She told me, grabbing one of my bags.

I sighed, but nodded. I wouldn't argue with my mom, especially not while she was in this state. Scared out of her mind, that's how everyone was.

"I'll be waiting in the car," dad muttered bitterly, exiting my room.

I glanced over at my mother, her eyes were filled with worry, which broke my heart, I hated seeing her like this. I grabbed her face gently, trying to calm her down, something my dad, her mate should be doing. "Mom, everything's going to be fine, just wait and see." I tried reassuring her.

She nodded her head, seeming just a tad bit calmer than before. "Be safe, okay? Don't do anything stupid and be sure to follow all orders the alpha gives you, okay?"

I nodded my head, which seemed to please her.

It was only ten minutes ago that alpha Scott had called a "code red". A code red was when our pack is under attack by hunters, rogues, or even other packs and we were meant to go into all our assigned hideouts and then we'd take further instructions from the alpha. No family was assigned the same hide outs, for safety reasons.

Haley was assigned to be somewhere with her mate, Hunter. To this day I still have no idea where my parents go, and I am to be in the pack head quarter's-aka, Roxie's house. She made sure that I was with her at all times when there were code red's, probably scared that I'd get killed if I were anywhere else. She always pretends to be nonchalant and neutral about things, but sometimes she can be just like me. It's probably why we're best friends.

"I will, you be safe, too. I love you."

Nearly twenty minutes later and I was at Roxie's house. I was a bit shocked, I'm not lying when I say there were pack guards, everywhere. They were all posted around my best friend's house, looking intimidating as ever. I knew that they always got really crazy when it came to protecting the royal family during code red's, but it never failed to shock me.

I took a deep breath and tried going to the front door, but I was stopped on the porch by two pack guards who I didn't recognize.

My heart beat sped up as I eyed the men, the look on their faces told me that they wouldn't hesitate to kill me if I stepped out of line or if they somehow found me threatening.

"Where do you think you're going?" The bald one sneered, his tone completely threatening.

I took a step back, taking a deep breath. "I-I-I," I could smell my own fear surrounding me, and believe me when I tell you, it isn't a pretty smell.

"She's with us!" a familiar voice snapped, calming me immediately knowing that I was safe now, the guards wouldn't dare arguing with him.

The guard immediately back down and I hurried away from him, not wanting to stay in his presence any longer than I had to.

Kurt picked up my bags from the ground, which I'd forgotten, too focused on getting away from the men.

Kurt offered me a grin, draping his arm over my shoulder. "Hey little sis, I was wondering when you'd arrive. I hope those guards weren't giving you too much trouble before I got out here. I'll personally kick there asses." He stated cockily, turning back to glare at one of them.

I'd hung around with Roxie for so long in their house, I might as well have been his sister. He's like the big brother I never had.

We walked in through the front door and I shook my head at the brunette. "Don't. They're only trying to protect you guys, you are a part of the royal family." I scolded him, he shouldn't be angry at them for doing their jobs.

He scoffed. "So are you, and he had no right to look at you like that." He muttered angrily, causing me to shake my head smiling slightly.

"Tone down the over protectiveness, Kurt."

He rolled his eyes, walking towards the kitchen. I followed after him, and Katherine, Roxie's mom, immediately wrapped me in a hug. "Oh, hey baby! I was so worried that something had happened to you. Thank God you're okay, everything seems to be happening so fast."

I returned her hug, smiling. "It was only thirty minutes ago that the code red was called, you didn't need to worry about me."

"But I was, I'm glad you got here safely." She pulled away, kissing my forehead. She turned back to the stove, stirring something in a pot. "You hungry?"

I shook my head, even though she couldn't see me. "No, I'm a bit tired though, I'm just going to go up stair's with Roxie." I told her, beginning to pick up my bags.

"Roxie's not back yet, but you're free to stay in her room still, I'm sure she wouldn't mind."

I furrowed my eyebrows, confused. Not back yet? Where'd she go? Why was she ignoring me?

Where the hell is my bestfriend?