Chapter 28-Some Blonde She-Wolf

Hmm...nothing to actually say...surprising, huh?

I laughed at something Kyle said, but I wasn't really listening. I kept thinking about Nadia. Well, not just Nadia in particular... Nadia and Kyle; their relationship. I couldn't help having a bad feeling about it. I realized how stupid it was building a relationship-for werewolves-when your mate is running around somewhere. That's why I broke up with him in the first place! And he turns around, and gets a girlfriend. How dumb can you be?

And I knew Nadia hadn't found her mate yet... I knew it because her scent didn't seem to be mixed with anyone else's. It was just a plain lemon smell. It was odd, because most of my pack's scents are two smells combined... but, hell, I don't even know if she's even a part of my pack or not. I've surely never met her before.

A hand waved in my face, making me look up at an expectant Kyle. "Earth to Roxie... were you even listening to me?"

"Of course I was." I lied to him without hesitation, but not meeting his eyes. "I heard every single word."

He didn't try and hide his disbelief as he gave me a flat and simple look. "Really?"

"Yup." I answered, popping the "p" and giving him my best and hopefully honest looking "I'm innocent" smile.

"Okay, then what was I just saying?"

I knew he had me there. But I wasn't quite ready to give myself up yet. "Er, you know... you asked me if I was listening to you." I offered in a small, sheepish voice.

Rolling his eyes, "Nice try, Roxie. Do you think I'm stupid?"

"Do you really want me to answer that, dude?"

"Hey!" I instantly recognized Carmen's voice, which was laced with irritation. She seemed to be always irritated with me lately. I looked up and gave her a questioning look from the chair I was sitting in. Yes, after Kyle moved the chair for me, I decided to have a seat. What did you expect? I've been here half a day.

"Yes, Carmen?" I asked extra sweetly, and kill me if there was a little sarcasm in my tone.

"Maybe instead of sitting here without a care in the world, you could get up and help us out? Some of us actually have to work. Besides, you're not exempt." She spat out, and I could tell she was angry.

Kyle glanced between Carmen and me, his eyes were slightly wide and he looked confused.

"Excuse me?" I demanded through gritted teeth. "Don't even play the 'I'm the alphas niece so I think I'm superior' card... I've been working all morning!" I practically yelled, sick of people assuming that all the time. And Carmen of all people?

She let out an agitated scoff. "Please, you call that working? I call that sitting on your ass and doing nothing all morning."

I didn't try and hide my shock at what came out of Carmen's mouth. Carmen wasn't the type of girl to curse... and at an actual person. The only profanity to come out of Carmen's mouth, ever, was usually "Damn" or "hell", and in all honesty those weren't real curse words... I think Carmen just tells herself that so she won't seem like a complete push over. Whatever the case, I was shocked. I looked over at Kyle, and he was too.