But here you are, words like barbed wire.

    Cutting through my skin, tearing me asunder.

    You walk out on me. I sit here and wonder

    How we got to this place?

    How something born from love could morph into hate?

    I apologize for my shortcomings, knowing it's too late.

    An apology uttered to you,

    Because I'd just feel better if you knew...

    My feelings were true."

    Tatiana tilted her head against the bathroom stall wall, amazed at his words.

    "That's it," he said quietly. "I mean, there's more, but...I'm still working on it."

    "You're very talented," she commended.

    "Do you really think that, or are you just being nice?"

    She walked the few short steps to the door and opened it.

    He nearly fell backwards, but caught himself. Then he rose to his feet and turned to look down at her.

    She stared up at him, allowing him to see the tears shining in her eyes. "I really think that," she told him softly.

    His lips curved into a smile, and he touched her cheek. "Well, thank you."

                                                                                   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    College kids were still barreling down the Slip N' Slide when Tatiana and A.D. returned to the backyard of the residence hall. "This party is out of control," A.D. muttered. "Weed smoke in the halls, loud music, Slip N' Slides and shit...I'm surprised campus security hasn't shut it down."

    "Everyone seems to be enjoying themselves, though," Tatiana said, looking around. It didn't take long for her to find Kenya and Eric. They were walking and talking at the far end of the yard. The sight of them made Tatiana smile.

    "It's your turn, you know," A.D. said, nudging her arm.

    She frowned up at him. "My turn for what?"

    "To share some of your poetry."

    "Oh, God," she muttered, wrapping her arms around her torso self-consciously. "You don't wanna hear my stuff."

    "I beg to differ," he argued.

    They walked alongside each other, passing students who were drinking and dancing. She took a deep breath. "Promise not to laugh?" she asked, pointing a finger at him.

    He laughed. "I wouldn't laugh at your poetry, even if it was horrible. That would disrespectful."

    "Gee, thanks," she mumbled.

    He stopped walking when they'd reached an area that was clear of other students. "Just recite something for me," he urged. "I'll keep a straight face. Honest."

    "All that means is you could think it would suck and you wouldn't tell me."

    "If there is...room for improvement, I will tell you."

    She wished she could see his eyes so she could determine if there was truth or mockery in them. She took a deep breath and began.

    "The world can attempt to keep the songbird in a cage,

    Attempt to throw away the key

    So the bird never gets free,

    But there was one purpose for the songbird to fulfill faithfully,

    That purpose was for the songbird to sing.

     Even while caged, the songbird can sing.

     A bunch of happiness and joy it can still bring

    To a world who attempted to keep it

    From spreading its wings."

    She squeezed her eyes shut towards the end and covered her face with her hands when she was finished.

    He gently pulled her hands away from her face and held onto both of them. "That was...that was a very moving poem."

    "Yeah?" she asked him nervously.

    "Is it about your parents smothering you?"

    She nodded. "A lot of my poetry is. A lot of it is about how I feel while being smothered, or what I would do if I wasn't. The world beyond the metaphorical cage they keep me in."

    "A lot of my writing is about relationships," he told her. "The happy moments in them, the not-so-happy moments. And not just romantic relationships, but also relationships with friends and family."

    "I'd like to hear more of your writing," she said.

    He smiled and tilted his head in a way that a shaft of light shined directly at his eyes.

    She squinted up at him.

    He dropped her hands and turned away from her. "I'll...be sure to bring some of my writing to class," he said, his words tumbling over each other. "But I really do have to get going. I have to be up early tomorrow."

    "Wait," she protested, reaching out to touch his arm. "Your eyes...they're so familiar. I do know you."

    "I have to go," he said, and started walking away from her.

    She trailed behind him. "Why is it so important for you to hide your face? Are you planning on wearing that hat all semester?"

    "When I see you in class, you'll understand," he called over his shoulder.

    She stopped following him and watched him leave while her heart sank.