one - the betrayal

present day

I PUNCHED MY BEST FRIEND IN THE FACE. She's on the floor, knocked out; blood gushing out of her nose. Jackson, of course, sprints to her rescue like she she's a damsel in distress. At this point, it's when the pain in my hand starts becoming more real in my head.

Jackson begins to cradle her, and almost immediately he gets up again and starts coming towards me. A switch in my brain suddenly switches, and the minute he gets close enough. I throw a punch.

My hand would've been fine. Until I punched Jackson, too. He crashes against the tile floor.

Jackson would've—should've seen my punch coming. Before Jackson and me started dating, we were friends. Or boxing buddies is more fit for explaining our friendship before our relationship.

My thoughts were everywhere, which made me less focused in what I was hoping to accomplish. Leading to my punch being not-so good as I wanted it to be.

My mind snaps out of its thoughts when I hear Jackson groan. His hands reach over to his cheek to touch the blood from his face.

He looks around Maggie's room; when his eyes land on Maggie he immediately scrambles over to help her.

That's when the yelling starts. "You don't understand!" "It wasn't supposed to be like this!" Denial. "You bitch! You're crazy. You're fucking crazy." Anger. "Please Cass. You have to help me get her to a hospital.." Bargaining.

"She was my world.. She knew me inside and out." Depression. I almost laugh.

"God, you sound like she's dying, Jackson. She's fine." His face is fuming. Jackson wears his emotions on his sleeve.

The silence in the room fills. The only thing I hear is the sound of Jackson murmuring something into Maggie's ears.

"Your crazy, you know that right? You have to be fucking crazy to knock out your best friend, cold." He muttered.

I've known Jackson for four years. We dated for three. As of tonight, we are broken up.

Maggie introduced us. In her eyes, in her world, we were perfect together. Her parents and Jackson's parents are family friends, have been for centuries.

They became close and eventually, became best friends. Really, good best friends. Longer than Maggie and me. I'd only ever heard of Jackson when Maggie came back from family trips. I'd never met him until Jackson's family moved closer to Maggie's family and we'd finally been introduced.

Jackson yells, begs me to call 911 because he believes I "broke her nose". I'm a little hurt that he thinks that I broke her nose.. Her nose should be broken.

"You're incredibly stupid if you think I'm calling 911 for a broken nose Jackson." I reply.
I grab my sweater along with my purse and begin the search of trying to find everything I've ever left in this house, starting from Maggie's room.

Lipsticks she's stolen from me. Clothes, shoes, jewelry, etc. You know before all this, I didn't care. That even the slightly expensive stuff I bought always went missing and the next day Maggie suddenly "bought" it.

But since then, it's more like she's trying to do it on purpose. Stealing everything. Trying to be like me. And I have absolutely no idea why.

"Call the fucking ambulance Cassandra!" he yells. It's a loop with him. He yells at me and then goes back to comforting Maggie.