Carmela gets some jewelry, although I refuse. I only want Ailie's necklace. Tis something she saved up forever for, and I do not want to have the sentiment lowered for me, by purchasing simple chains with no worth. Then we get hair adornments, which are quite bright and fun. We look at different types of glop applied to beautify the face, called makeup. Carmi tries to persuade me to use it, but after initially trying on a little over my eyes, I refuse. The beauty is unnatural and eerie, plus the powder irritates my skin. After who knows how long, we have purchased a few bags worth of everything combined from various stores.

"So tell me about you," says Carmela, afterwards. I have almost gotton used to this mall, and am actually enjoying myself. Right now we are just walking through, looking at stores but not going in. She suggested leaving and going home and I agreed. Now the challenge (for me) is finding the exit.

I shrug at her. My life as the Girl is not really private, not really private at all. "I daresay you know most all there is to know of me," I say. "I was born in 1499. My mark was identified instantly at birth. I was brought up for my life, groomed to be the Girl. I lived a fairly good life, a happy life. There were no others my age in society, but my sister Ailie and I were very close. Sisters in the truest form of the word. I was happy until Ailie... died. She was murdered by werewolves, protect me. Gave her life for me." It has been so long, oh so long, yet I feel the pain of the day again in that instant. Fresh stinging in a wound, not allowing it to heal. But how can I?

I have to wonder what Ailie would think of this new world I am in. What she would think of me now. I believe she would like it. We did always tell stories of what we believed the world that I am in now, five hundred years in the future, would be. But I'm not sure she would approve of me idly... buying things when there is a missing Sleeping Girl. Of how I casually have bags of new vanities, but she saved years, worked herself harder than she should, for her one item of beauty. I touch her necklace again, overcome.

Would Ailie think she had given her life in vain? I think not. I think she would always support me. Yet at the same time, I think she would want me to be doing something more. I think she would expect me to find the next Girl, somewhere, somehow. And I think that I have to honor her memory.

"Oh! I'm sorry," says Carmela, biting her lip as she studies my face, bringing me back to the present. I realize that I'm once again blinking back tears. "I can't imagine what that would be like, to lose a sister," she continues, empathetically. "To lose... well more than a sister, actually. Considering everyone you knew was from the early fifteen hundreds." She moves in to hug me, and I appreciate the gesture.

"Well I am sure you know more about me than I know about you. Tell me about you?" I ask when she steps back. I'm trying to stop thinking of Ailie, of the past. I have to stop thinking about it, lest I shall break down in tears. And I've certainly almost started crying earlier this day, as well. I fear I shall come off to everyone as a weepy little girl, which will not do. I've always been strong, ruthless, and that is how I believe it must be. The only way someone was survive in society in this cruel world we live in.

Carmi shrugs her shoulders. "I'm pretty normal, I guess. Except well, our society isn't actually normal at all." She grins. "I'm sixteen, grew up in society. I live five minutes away from Amanda. I enjoy killing dark fey."

I smile. Killing dark fey; tis not your typical pastime. Although I suppose, in society it is. "I myself have never killed any faeries," I tell her. "I've actually only killed two sprites and one witch. My life was sheltered. I was always being protected. How easy- or hard- are they to kill?" I'm curious. I have to be.

"For me it's pretty easy. I think most people find it hard; in fact they're the only creatures Amanda has trouble with. I think it's because of their glamour. Don't wanna kill those that look sweet and innocent and, well, beautiful."