Chapter Thirty-Two

Começar do início

"Sorry to disturb you, but we wanted to check on you, make sure you both were doing alright, and give you these. Figured you probably had a long night ahead of you and could use the caffeine." The woman said, shakily holding out the styrofoam cup clasped in her shaking hand. Gingerly, almost as if not to frighten the woman, Vicrul took it, nodding his head in gratitude, not trusting his voice, nor his words, to portray how genuinely thankful he was for this small act of kindness. Ushar took the other cup, extended from the husband. 

"Oh! I nearly forgot! I, of course, didn't know how you liked your coffee, so I picked up a handful of sugar and creamer packets, should you need them." There, in her frail hands, were the sugar and creamer packets from the self service coffee station in the Emergency Department, held out to them. 

"You really didn't need to go to all this trouble, but we appreciate it all the same." Ushar said, gently taking the packets from her delicate hands. The couple smiled down at the two hulking men. 

"We were waiting to be seen when you all arrived. We sat in the corner and prayed for all of you until we were taken back, and continue praying when we get home. That poor girl, do you know if she's doing alright?" the wife asked, her eyes darting towards the Emergency Department. 

"We haven't gotten word quite yet, but we appreciate your thoughts for my sister." Vic finally managed, his voice gravelly from disuse. A knot had formed in his throat, nearly impossible to swallow down, even with the small sip of the piping hot coffee. The couple nodded, sadness and concern fogging their eyes. 

To Vic's surprise, the elderly woman grasped his empty hand, holding tightly. Vicrul squeezed her hand back, careful not to hurt the poor woman. 

"Would you like us to pray with you? Truly, we do not mind at all, if you would like us to." The husband asked, looking the most genuine Vic had ever seen someone to look. It reminded him of you, all of your actions true and good-natured. 

Vicrul considered it for a moment, slowly bringing himself to nod. 

"I would like that a lot, thank you."

Vicrul and Ushar rose to their feet, guiding the elderly couple to the chairs they had vacated, kneeling before them, hands grasped in one another. As they all closed their eyes, the woman began to speak. 

"Heavenly Father, we come to you, asking that you guide all of us toward healing. May you guide the wonderful medical staff to make the best decisions for all the patients, especially this wonderful man's sister. They are good people, your children, Father. May you lead them toward recovery from whatever has plagued them, showing them that while darkness may permeate, your light will forever shine upon them. Bless them with health and happiness. In your name, we pray, amen."

The men all whispered, "Amen", as they stood, Vic and the husband assisting the woman to stand. She still held Vic's hand firmly, and for once, it was welcomed. Kindness from a stranger was something he felt he never deserved, with all of the horrible things he had done in his life, and it nearly overwhelmed him. 

"Thank you." Vicrul whispered as he enveloped the frail woman before him in a hug. She was warm, almost as if she was the embodiment of light in the darkness she had talked about earlier. Her frail arms came around him, cradling his head to hers as she brushed a kiss to his temple, her other hand rubbing calming circles between his shoulder blades. 

Vicrul couldn't help himself but remember the hugs his mother used to give him, almost as if she were currently holding him. Tears began to collect in his closed eyes, threatening to spill if he opened them. The embrace was over and Vic quickly collected himself, nodding his thanks, as well as his goodbye as the elderly couple shuffled through the automatic doors and into the open air. 

Once the doors closed, Ushar finally spoke. 

"Never pegged you for the religious type, brother..." he trailed off. 

Vicrul shrugged, toying with the plastic lid on the styrofoam cup, condensation from the steam collecting on the pad of his thumb. 

"Sometimes, comforting lies are needed in a time like this..." he murmured, taking another sip of his coffee. Vicrul stood then, fishing a cigarette and his lighter from the pocket of his leather jacket. He strode for the automatic doors, without looking to see if Ushar had followed him. 

He knew he would. Ushar always had his back. 

                                                                                                ... 

Another nearly agonizing hour, and two smoke breaks later, a lanky medical student with almost permanent under eye bags etched into his face and a short, full bodied African American woman  strode into the waiting room, clearly exhausted. 

"You're the brother, correct?" the woman asked, gesturing to Vic. He nodded as he stood, Ushar behind him, resting a hand on his shoulder. 

"She is out of surgery and recovery. We were able to repair the ankle, as well as stabilize the nasal fracture for the time being. She did well and should bounce back from this rather well. She has a moderate concussion and will take some time to heal from that. Outside of routine physical therapy, she should be back to normal in no time." she said, smiling. 

Vicrul hadn't realized that he had begun to cry, hearing that you were going to be okay. You had survived, despite being a pawn in this horrible, stupid game him and Kylo had dragged you into. 

To his surprise, as his knees had started to waver and he knelt on the floor, so did the woman, embracing him tightly. She continued to whisper reassurances as he sobbed against her shoulder, holding onto her like she was his final lifeline. 

As Vicrul's sobs started to calm into small hiccups, the woman still kneeling before him, holding him, he knew he had to see you. To stay by your side, see with his own eyes that you were still here and infallible before him. 

"Let's go see her, honey." the surgeon said, grasping Vic's large hands in her small, deft ones. 

Vicrul didn't note all the twists and turns he had to take to get to your room. His heart felt like it was going to leap from his throat, the fluttering in his throat threatening to choke the air from his lungs. 

The surgeon finally stopped in front of a small room, the only light coming from the small light over the head of the bed. You were there, clearly drowsy from the anesthesia, a dressing across the bridge of your nose and your left temple, a large bulky cast of sorts encompassing your ankle. 

"If you need anything, please don't hesitate to let us know."

Vicrul couldn't speak, couldn't get his mouth to form the words bouncing around inside his skull. Ushar nodded his thanks to the surgeon as she excused herself, shutting the door behind her to give them some much deserved privacy. 

With the soft click of the door latch, your head seemed to perk up, your heavy eyes noting Vic and Ushar still standing by the door, a drug hazed smile curling the corners of your lips. 

"Hey, bitchesssss..." you whispered, your voice hoarse and cracked from the endotracheal tube, as well as disuse. 

Ushar chuckled at that, moving the small chair on your right side. 

"Glad to see you haven't changed a bit, shithead." Ushar whispered, brushing a kiss to your right temple, smoothing away a few rogue strands of hair from your face. 

Vicrul stumbled to your side, clutching your hands in his, as if you would disappear right before his very eyes. You tried to concentrate on his face, but your drug addled brain seemed to complicate things. More tears threatened to escape Vic's eyes, as you gripped his hand as much as you could manage. 

"Vicc-y?" you whispered, your own eyes starting to dampen. Vicrul wrapped his arms around you, sobbing uncontrollably again, taking you with him.

Through the sobs, Vic could barely get you, "Don't you ever fucking do that to me again!", pressing his lips to your unaffected temple, his tears dripping onto you. 

"I love you, brother..." you whispered, your shoulders shaking with the words.