Chapter Twenty Two - Reluctant Party Guest

The two of us arrive that evening and handed in our cloaks before making or way to the ballroom and being announced.

"Miss Penveanan and Mistress Poldark!" we were announced and stepped in. I gave an apprehensive smile to my friend and looked around. my eyes caught Elizabeth's, who looked away.

"Look at them, the gaul of their strutting and high mightiness as if there be no war or men risking their lives and that of their families." I scowl at them, every time I saw them and the worst came out.

"Pay them no heed. Our task is to see what news we can glean of the French landing." she soothed and I nodded as I made my way around and talked with various people. I noticed George make his way over to Lord Falmouth, hovering beside him.

"I'll be back." I told Caroline who nodded and I glided across the room. Lord Falmouth finished his conversation but did not acknowledge George, his eye drifted away and the missed opportunity meeting my gaze. I smirked.

"Lord Falmouth." he stopped and turned to me "I was hoping to introduce myself. Mistress Abigail Poldark." I curtsied

"Mistress Poldark? A pleasure to meet you." he took my hand and kissed it. "Sir Hugh speaks highly of you as do most of cornish gentry. You are known to be quite the charmer and beauty."

"I think they do exaggerate so, sir." I chuckled

"I don't think they do." he smirked "Might I have the pleasure of this dance?" he asked

"You may." I took his and flashed George a coy smile before the two of us joined the dance floor. I know it was a bad idea to antagonise him but I would deal with the consequences later. Lord Falmouth and I took the dance then made small conversation, I also asked about the war but hardly got anything of use.

"I must say Lord Falmouth meeting you has to be the highlight of my evening. And to prove that not all the rumours are true." I chuckle

"What rumours might they be?" he wondered. I hummed smiling with my eyes and curtsied

"Wouldn't you like to know?" I flitted away and went to get a drink for myself and Caroline.

"I know what you're doing." Elizabeth hissed as I poured two glasses of port. I turned to her with an innocent look.

"What might that be, pray tell?" I asked

"Deflection from Ross and what he's doing in France. Not a lot would take to kindly to what he's doing?" she retired and I cleared my throat

"Ross is not your concern, he's mine. And there is no need to hiss with jealousy and envy just accept your fate and all will be well." I smile sweetly I took a sip of my port.

"Why would I be jealous of you?" she scowled

"Because I'm everything you're not, of course. Think about it, you were raised with one purpose, to be a socialite wife, attending parties, bolstering your husband to reap the benefits. Yet you fell in love with the opposite, you had dreams and ambitions of something you couldn't even begin to know what or how to do, but hey it was love I suppose. Cut to the prime time of when all you planned in your head is supposed to happen, bam its gone. Who has it now...your sister, cue the gasp.

Said sister or if you want to be nit picky half sister. Hasn't been put under that much pressure, was given the same hopes but a more robust teaching, beloved daughter, favourite actually. Left with means to support herself eventually. The life you imagine is the life I lead. No mistake I love Ross with all my heart, but something about you now being the sloppy seconds makes everything just a little bit sweeter.

Attend your parties, bolster George if and when you can, but just be mindful Elizabeth. If I'm in the room, you're no match." I curtsy to her "Have a nice evening." I return to Caroline and hand her the drink.