Chapter Eighteen - Consequences

Back home I sat talking with Ross, who was  reeling  at the news of Leisure being shut down. We all were to be honest.

"We did what we set out to do. Five villages will now survive the winter." I tried to get him to see the bright side of all this.

"Yes. But at a price we hadn't counted on. The closing of Wheal Leisure can only have been triggered by our grain venture." he replied and my shoulders sagged

"Helped some but ruined others." I mumbled

"70 families. What can we do for them?" he wondered out loud.

"Ross! Abigail!" We rose to our feet hearing Caroline and she came in with a determined gazed gracing her features "I came to tell you that I'm, leaving for London."

"Have you heard word of Dwight?" I ask

"From Unwin. He assures me that all is well and I've no cause for concern." she recited

"So, what will you do?" I wonder

"Go to the admiralty. See if we can negotiate a ransom." Caroline voiced her plan. Ross stepped forward.

"We wish you luck." he hugged her and stepped back, I then did the same

"We will get him back. Some how." she left the two of us alone and we heard her carriage ride off before Ross said anything.

"The Admiralty doesn't deal in ransoms."

------

Ross was welcoming the new men to the mine, the ones from the families that had lost their jobs at Wheal Leisure. We had agreed upon a plan to make it happen. Upon my return home Demelza informed me of my cousin and Nephew's return, including the encounter between Drake and Morwenna.

"I love Morwenna, she's the only one of my cousins that actually didn't listen to her mother and was nice to me. She's gentle and kind, if not a little naive . Her return, it doesn't sound good. She and Drake can come to no good." I voice leaning against the wall as Henry helps Ross plough the garden and lay seeds.

"George will be livid. That's good enough for me." Ross replied

"I would be inclined to agree if it weren't at the expense of my cousin. I'm not one for classes but a low born miners son aspiring  to the heart of our cousin?"

"When should he object when a lowly mine owner can aspire to the hand of a real lady." he came over taking my hand and kissing it.

"We're different. I pray Morwenna knows it's different and takes care not to stir up an more trouble." I hoped