Chapter Fourteen - New Poldarks

I was almost ready to give birth. Things since Ross' return had gotten worse. With failed harvests and empty grain stores, the people were starving. I helped out where I could but there was not much to be done. I had heard that  the Warleggan ship, the new Queen Charlotte had been looted by starving folk. If the weren't shot and killed or trample and killed they were arrested only to be met with the man they stole from.

Potatoes  came out one by one, yet I was stopped by the familiar pains of it being my time. I cried out a little.

"Prudie! Demelza!" I call as I stop digging. The come running to my aide knowing what's happening.

"Run and make sure all's ready" I say

"I don't like it maid. 'Tain't sense, 'taint clever, tain't wise." she pressed

"There is no way in heaven, hell or earth I'm being left at the mercy of the quack choake!" They held me up "Without Dwight, Ross won't hear me on birthing alone. What he don't know, can't hurt him. Run!" Purdue does as I says while Demelza slowly helps me back into the house. Both prep and help me into bed.

"I need to push, I need..." I scream out as I push. For a time it was me resting and me pushing, till the birth.

"A boy, you have a boy." Demelza breaths and cuts the cord.  I laugh and rest my head back as Demelza cleans him up. But it was short lived

"I knew it. I knew it. There's another one. I feel them, I..." I stopped short. Demelza  hurried to lay down the first and rush back to me

"Oh, Judas." she mumbled "Come on, mistress, you can do it." I pushed again and again. till finally I gave birth to my second.

"A girl, one of each." I let out a long breath. A Baby boy and a baby girl. I told you I had my suspicions.

"Bless me soul, another set of twins." Purdue exclaimed as she helped clean everything up.

-------

Abigail!" we heard Ross arrive home "Abigail!" he called out for me.

"Demelza's tell him to send up the soup will you." she giggled and nodded. Prudie had already left with the sheets.  She curtsied and scurried out. A few minutes later Ross came up

"Thanking you Kindly sir. If you could set it down over there." I glanced over at the table across from me. He did so.

"Are you unwell?" he asked

"Never better." I beamed

"Can i do anything else for your Lady ship?" he sassed. I bit back a giggle

"You could say hello, to your son and daughter." I pulled back the covers that kept them cozy in my embrace. "Mr Isaac Francis Poldark and Miss Emily Jane Poldark" he stood there stuned of a moment before stepping over. I handed him Isaac.

"Where was Dr Choake?"

"I was half way done before we thought to send for him. Matters naught any more now they're here and I was right." I beamed

"You knew?"

"I suspected, I told you that I had suspicions, with two growing I grew more obvious that I did with just Rebekah Grace. The door opened and Prudie came in with Henry and Rebekah Grace.

"Come meet your little brother and sister." I held my hand out. Henry took Rebekah Grace's and came over.

"One of each Mama? How does that happen?" Henry asked

"The same way it did with you and your late brother Jonathan and with Rebekah Grace. Love." I answer "Your Papa hold your brother Isaac and here I have Emily."

"Play?" Rebekah asked

"They're two tiny, sister. When they grow up like us they we can all play together. Right Papa?" Here looked up at his father.

"Right you are."