Written Statment #8 Anna

I, Anna Roberts, make this statement of my own free will. I understand that I do not have to say anything, but it may harm my defence if I do not mention something when questioned, which I later rely on in court. This statement may be given in evidence.

I've always thought of myself as being collected and diplomatic. I've often thought about how I would respond if I felt a sense of danger behind me when walking home at night. I've imagined my vigilance in an apocalypse and how I could be a vital group member. I'm often resourceful in times of need with my friends.

I'm all of that until faced with it in real life. Everything I thought I would do, I didn't.

Headlights were heading right for us. The moon almost lit the path for the truck that bounced everywhere. Sutt sprayed from the tyres, leaving a black cloud behind. I stood up, taking my eyes off the car to look at Quinn, and we both knew who it was.

Quinn's dad had been losing his head for a long time, but the fact he'd come to find her meant this situation was at its worst.

The scary thing about this man is that he has nothing to lose. The guy lost his wife and his job, and his house was next. I know this because my dad works for the parish council, so I asked him for help. I'm the outsider within the Indigo's bitter edges—three cars in the driveway and a mum and dad at home who take good care of me. I'm completing my GCSE tests, working most weekends, and have never been to a police station until now. But I feel like my life will be different after I leave here.

The three of us left at the pit laughed about how hard a day is in a teenager's life. Chase respects me a lot. I can tell by the way he listens and not just hears. I told him my parents taught me the art of listening, processing what someone tells me, and feeling, understanding, and learning from what people say. He always tells me I'm the other side of the indigo children. He needs me because I react to situations logically, and now and again, I notice that he tries responding without so much emotion. Chase is driven by emotion. He breathes for it and can bring out your deepest emotions without you knowing.

Chase is the most intelligent person I've ever met, but he doesn't always think things through. We all know what he would do for Quinn. He's been getting out of hand lately. I told him this was the best way to remove Quinn from her dad's care with the help of my dad getting him evicted. My dad told me the eviction would start this week. Dad told me it was an easy win for the council board because the surrounding six houses were fed up with the piles of car parts and junk on the front lawn from Quinn's father and his friends.

The truck stopped about a yard away from where we stood. The headlights shone through the pit dust, making the black powder look like voil before the silence, and darkness felt heavy for what felt like a lifetime. My heart was beating so hard I could feel my body move. I couldn't take my eyes off the man behind the wheel. His eyes were so dark and cold that I shifted toward Quinn. His broad shoulders on display made him look like a monster—he is a monster.

I glanced at Chase and saw the same ice-cold look of pure hate curling his mouth in disgust. Chase has always been ready for anything but is especially prepared for a scrap with Quinn's dad.

Quinn's dad shifted, making a creaking sound as he opened the old truck door. Quinn grabbed me by the arms before I could do or say anything, forcing me to look at her. Her pretty blue eyes were wide as she told me to run and call the police. My head was asking all the questions, but nothing came out of my mouth. The words were stuck. Panic does that to me. Everything gets jammed up inside until I forget how to breathe.