CHAPTER SIXTEEN - fenrys cries when he's drunk

Start bij het begin

"With this new novelty, the world was suddenly filled with mortals who could wield magic to do their binding, faeries who aged and perished in mere decades, and a new, strong wave of opposition sown in conventionalism. Fear of the unknown, and mainly, a fear for losing the distribution of power and riches" Rowan's voice was filled with bitterness, once Isabella recognized in her voice when she spoke of her world's history. "So, naturally, war broke. The sides were a bit of a blur, but for the most part, it was known as the Fae against Humans. Their offsprings were in between, practically unaccepted by both sides, so there's not much to say of them"

"It is hard to say who won the war, because the Fae had been weakened by decades of reproduction with humans. And mortals were stronger for the drop of magic in their blood, and their wider numbers. The answer of who came out with the victory will depend on who you ask, but, if we had to remain objective, it is best to say that no one won. But perhaps no war can be won with the loss of blood"

Isabella tasted blood in her mouth, but she did not stop herself from biting her cheek. She welcomed the pain as much as the honesty in Rowan's voice.

"So, in order for the masacre to stop, a peace treaty was signed. The Fae did not want to live among humans anymore, and since mortals could reproduce faster than fae ever would, it was agreed to give them their own kingdoms. For them to rule. The Fae left the continent, and went back to their motherland -Wendlyn-; a place big and rich enough for all of our kin. Therefore, the fae happily isolated their kindred from humans, and mortals had to feign for themselves without our help"

"That has continued till this day. Fae and humans do not mix, and if they do, it is not well looked upon. But the problem with our kind, is that, apparently, we cannot even have peace among ourselves" Rowan said, with almost an angry growl in his words. "Wendlyn had always been ruled by the Whitethorns, for rumors claim they are the only direct descendants of Our Gods. That does not matter, anyways. A millennium ago, a good number of fae families raised against our Queen -Elvenia- and organized a dethronement. Queen Elvenia fought against them, and in the middle of a battlefield, days before her death, managed to name her successor: Princess Sellene" Was that pride in Rowan's voice as he spoke of people who were his distant ascendants? Isabella was sure it was. "Luckily, Fae believed -and still do- strongly in Our Gods, so they supported their new Queen. The opposition sided with those who had tried to take the throne, and Wendlyn was divided"

"War has reigned since then. We fight and scheme in order to destroy our opponents. Not only because they want the throne that is not rightfully theirs, but because we know their ways and the kind of kingdom they'd have. And, believe me, Isa, nobody in their right mind would align with them" The strength -not directed at her- in his words stunned her. Even more than the nickname he had never called her before.

"When I found you, I thought you were a spy sent by the Novyk -that's the name of the family that started the war, and the name taken by those who stand by their cause- to learn our strategies and destroy us from the inside out"

Surprise widened her eyes, and she hurried to say. "Well, I'm not. I had never even heard of them before"

Rowan nodded. "We know that now, but we didn't before. We thought it was weird that they would use a mortal to get into our camps, but then we thought it was a brilliant idea because we would have never expected it from them since the Novyk is known to hate humans" His expression was raw, as if he were begging her to see the truth in his eyes. The plea. The understanding. And forgiveness. "I thought it was weird you didn't speak our language -or any we knew of- but we couldn't be too cautious. So we called for Remelle. I -we- didn't even know about Sarah walking into another word or her writing and books. I -we- thought you were a spy and that you wanted to see as all dead, that you were pretending to be good and to not know anything, but then you explained the truth"