23. Zinnia

xxiii

xxiii. zinnia — affection, everlasting love, tribute

as the zinnia flower symbolizes affection, it takes on another meaning, which is to honor those who have passed. The zinnia flower serves as a testament to the love you feel for another, even if they are no longer with you on the earthly plane.

It took hours before anyone knew where Charles had gone. Minetta had played a little game with him, until he had finally reached Fred, who was the one who picked up the landline.

Seconds after, he had stormed into Alice's bedroom, who was just about to wake up. For a second there FP wanted to groan and tell him to come back later because they were still tired, but Fred had told him to shut up and listen. And listen he did.

As soon as his brain registered that Charles was at the station right now, not as an FBI agent but as a prisoner, he didn't know how fast to get dressed and jump into the truck. Alice's heart was racing a thousand miles an hour.

Blinded by rage, they stormed into the police station, where Minetta barely blinked when he met the eyes of the two people he had pissed off.

"Tell me where my son is you little fuck or I swear I will fucking kill you." FP growled, hovering over his desk dangerously. Minetta wasn't impressed.

"I would watch my words if I were you, Mr. Jones." He stated calmly.

Instead, he took a printed picture and shoved it to the other side. FP grew confused, but picked it up nonetheless. Alice stood next to him, peering over to the photo. It was Charles, around Lover's Lane. And then another. And then another.

"What's this?" She asked, clearly not following what he was trying to say.

"A picture of Mr. Charles Forsythe Smith at the place where the wolfsbane flower has been found. He said he accidentally discovered it, but as you can see here we tend to think he knew where the flower was because he planted it himself." He stated, a smug smile curling on his lips that FP really wanted to smash right off his face.

"Can we see him? Please?" Alice begged, eyes desperate.

For a moment there, he pitied her. So, he agreed and took them with him to the interrogation room, where Charles was sitting, looking at his hands. He looked guilty when he saw that his parents had come. As if he was disappointed they had come.

"We're gonna get you out of here, I promise." Alice rushed over to him and instantly sat down on the seat across from her son. He remained silent.

"You wanna tell them what you told me?" Minetta crossed his arms and gave Charles a knowing look. He sighed, but did it anyway.

"I did it. I poisoned these people." Charles confessed.

Alice felt the blood drain out of her face. FP took a step backwards, as if he was trying to get a clear view and read his body language too.