8. Poppy

viii

viii. poppy — consolation, remembrance, death and eternal sleep

as the poppy has the power to change your state of consciousness, it is also a symbol of imagination. too often, as adults, we get caught up in the realities of life management and getting through the day. the poppy is a reminder to that imagination is the key to making life more wonderful.

Her heart is racing and not in the way she likes. She had thrown her top aside already, and she felt two strong hands pinning her towards the nearest wall in her bedroom.

A pair of unfamiliar lips glued to her neck, and this was when she suddenly snapped out of it. If she didn't want to, she didn't have to. It was that simple. She didn't owe this man her body simply because she had seduced him to come to her bedroom. She could stop this at any time.

"No wait," She said, trying to worm her way out of his grip. He didn't listen, instead he pressed her even further into the wall.

"Stop, please." Alice said louder this time, her own hands becoming stronger too.

"Come on, don't be a tease." He mumbled with his lips against her skin, before wanting to dive in and continue where he had left off.

"I said stop." Suddenly, her eyes filled with fire and she grabbed him by his throat, a move he didn't expect.

She squeezed his windpipe, and he visibly struggled breathing while desperately trying to push her away from him. They always underestimated her strength, another misconception they had simply because she was a blonde woman with blue eyes who wore sweet, colorful floral dresses.

Alice let go just when the man thought he was about to coke, and if she didn't have a conscious left she would have let him die right there. Fortunately for her, death was what scared her the most. Even a man like him, she wouldn't kill.

He quickly gathered his shirt from the floor while still choking for air, giving her the side eye to make sure she wouldn't attack him again while he wasn't watching. Alice looked at him with cold eyes, which she barely even registered she was doing.

The man basically ran for the door, wanting to get out of the house as soon as he possibly could.

"She is fucking insane." He choked as he stumbled off the stairs, locking eyes with Fred who was looking at what the commotion was all about.

Alice stood there at the top, tears now gathered in her eyes only dressed in her jeans and burgundy colored bra. He instantly walked her way, his eyes never leaving hers. Her eyes followed his too.

"This has to stop, Alice." Fred pleaded, an odd mixture of concern and anger in his tone.

"I don't care who you sleep with, Alice. That is your business. But I don't want those men in my home. My son lives here too. Hell, your own daughter does. I don't want them to see this." He told her, as stern as he could without being mean.