one ☽ vampire business

Elijah Mikaelson had come to believe, over the course of his long life, that people were eternally bound to those with whom they shared blood. However, as he'd come to learn, familial relationships were complicated. In the times that Elijah and his family had been close, often united through the fear of their father, they had been strong, impenetrable to whatever enemies that came to haunt them. Despite those times, Elijah had also learned that their familial bonds did not outweigh the fear and trauma that shaped them to be who they were. The knowledge that family could either be one's greatest strength or most troubling regret was a truth that had haunted Elijah for as long as he could remember.

Which was what had brought him to New Orleans. After a thousand years, Elijah had developed a long-standing habit of bailing his little brother out of all kinds of trouble.

Klaus Mikaelson was excessively paranoid and for good reason. After all, seeing as he was the Original Hybrid and as such one of the most powerful beings to ever exist, he had made many enemies (being something particularly unnatural and all). However, that, in combination with his particularly volatile personality, his enemies did not come in short supply.

In this case, the name that had brought the Mikaelson brothers to New Orleans was the name of a witch.

One Jane-Anne Devereux.

Unfortunately, it seemed there was already a twist in Elijah's mission as he stood in the French Quarter of the Crescent City, alongside a witch by the name of Sabine. They stood a few hundred meters from a scene down the road.

There was a crowd of witches, crowded around someone on the ground. That someone in question had blood all over her neck and Elijah could tell that there was nary a heartbeat. Some of the witches also bring offerings of flowers and candles, signs of mourning.

"That's Jane-Anne?" Elijah asked in shock. "Killed in public for anyone to find?"

Admittedly, it had been a while since Elijah had ruled the French Quarter, but he simply couldn't conceive a reason why this would be acceptable. The factions that had ruled New Orleans and the French Quarter had always had rather tedious relationships.

"Only people that come around here are the witches. Now her sister has come to take her body. Her spirit can't rest until it's been properly interred in the cemetery."

As Elijah surveyed the scene, he couldn't help but think of what he imagined to be the worst-case scenario. It was a murder certainly ruthless enough.

"Please tell me that my brother had nothing to do with this."

"No. Jane-Anne died because she got caught doing magic," Sabine answered, a mournful expression on her face.

"What do you mean she got caught doing magic?"

Before Sabine could explain, a piercing whistle cut through the brisk night air. Elijah glanced up, his gaze following in the direction of the sound.

"You wanna know who killed Jane-Anne? You're about to get your first glimpse of Marcel in action."

Elijah looked back at Sabine, a complicated sort of confusion evident in his expression. At that moment, Elijah had memories of the past. Memories of a young boy that grew up with his family. A young boy that became a part of their family, given his name by Klaus.

"The vampire Marcel?"

"Things have changed since your family left town. Marcel has changed." The group of witches was closed in by the appearance of vampires. "I'm asking you, stay hidden. If Marcel finds out that a witch lured the Originals back into town, my people will be slaughtered."