20│WE GO SPELUNKING INTO OBLIVION

Start from the beginning

"Why would the builders of this 'back door' need to have a guardian?"

Sloane perked up from where she'd been leaning against Deianira's arm. "Ah! To protect it from people who want to use it for nefarious means."

Reginald gave her an approving nod. "That is correct, Sloane."

As the Romani woman squeezed her wife's hand proudly, Allison spoke up: "so it's gonna take all of us to defeat the thing protecting the bells."

"You're actually buying his crap?" Five wondered with disbelief.

"How is a guardian and bells any crazier than time-travelling briefcases and assassins with cartoon masks?"

"Oh, I know this one!" Alexa answered with false cheer. "We've actually experienced one of those things while we have yet to encounter the other."

The boy twisted around to give her a surprised look. "No offence, Lexa, but I thought you of all people would go for this."

She made a face at him but didn't reply. Ben took the moment of silence to stand and move next to his father. "I'm in."

Diego stood next, causing Lila to fall harshly against the couch. "Me too. But I think some of us should stay back. Like Lila."

He glanced down at the British woman, who pushed up from the couch to join him. "Uh. . . or you can stay and I can go."

"No," Allison disagreed. "This is much bigger than all of us. Nobody can stay back."

"You, my children, are all that stands between us and oblivion," Reginald said. "Are we ready to go?"

"Well I say we vote," Viktor offered.

"This isn't a democracy. Dad's calling the shots," Ben countered.

"I'm with Viktor," Five stated. "We vote."

"The world is ending and you want to count hands?"

"You're asking us to risk our lives," Luther countered his father's question. "I think it's only fair that you give us some time to discuss it. Privately." Reginald scoffed with disbelief as he turned away from the group. Luther continued, unphased: "why don't we meet back here in an hour?"

They all assented with varying degrees of acceptance before they broke up. As the two teens left their siblings, Alexa gave the boy an uncertain look. "Um. . . do you want to. . . think about this by yourself?"

He frowned at her hesitancy. "Why? Do. . . you want to have some time alone?"

"No!" She shook her head. Alexa felt her face warm from her quick answer. "Um. . . it just seems like a big decision that. . . maybe would be easier to think about alone."

Five's expression softened and he reached down to squeeze her hand fondly. "Lexa, we're a team now, remember? Where you go, I go— and vice versa. So. . . what were you thinking?"

The blonde squeezed his hand in return. "I'd, um, like to talk to our siblings about what their thoughts are before I make my own."

He nodded approvingly. "That's not a bad idea. Let's go."

☂︎ ☂︎ ☂︎

They found Luther sitting alone in one of the hotel rooms, sitting on the bed as he stared out the window. The boy led the way into the room and greeted their brother: "hey."

"Hey, how long do we have left?"

"A couple hours. Could be more, could be less."

Alexa studied the larger man for a moment before she asked hesitantly: "so. . . which way are you voting?"