12│LEAN ON ME ( WHEN YOU'RE NOT STRONG )

Start from the beginning

The blonde glanced over him critically. "It's Paradox Psychosis, isn't it?"

Five made an effort to play it off. "What? No. Lexa, I'm fine."

She crossed her arms against her chest and pinned him with a disbelieving look. "Fi, you told me to be honest with you about how wrong this place made me feel. Now you're gonna be a hypocrite and say that your behavior is completely normal when it so obviously isn't?"

She had him there. He should've known better than to assume that she wouldn't recognize the signs— she'd always, always been the first one to pick up on one of them being in danger. Another fart answered her question before he could. Then, he sighed. "No," he mumbled in response, looking reasonably abashed.

Lila made a sound of disgust. "You two sicken me."

In an effort to not start an argument with the British woman, Alexa pushed past her to the glass panel. While it was a far-fetched thought, Five hadn't gone up to the facial recognition to try it out himself, leaving the option open for her. She put her face against the blue, clear plate. This time, the device chimed as successful entrance was permitted. "'Access granted.'"

Five stared at her as if he'd never seen her before. "Well, that makes absolutely no sense."

Large locks turned loudly behind the entryway. Lila sighed. "I don't know how you can be essential personnel when I'm not."

The blonde shrugged as if her discovery was no big deal. "Like I said, this place feels wrong. I figured I was connected to it somehow."

The door rolled away to reveal a room that was untouched by the destruction of the timeline. It was clean and bright with fluorescent lights that glowed along the walls. The floor was a shiny, metallic tile and it had a sitting area with two chairs that stood off to one corner as if guests visited the space regularly.

As soon as they stepped into the room, all of the symptoms of the boy's oncoming Paradox Psychosis melted away. Lila went to the tube in the center of the space but he paused to take in the differences. The door slid back in place.

Alexa stayed beside him with a now-concerned expression on her face. "Are you okay?"

He smiled slightly. "You don't have to ask me that every three minutes, you know. If I feel worse, I'll tell you."

She huffed. "Well, sorry if I'm worried about you. You're even worse than I am when it comes to hiding what you're feeling. I mean, you tried to pretend like you didn't have Paradox Psychosis."

Five held up his hands appeasingly. "Okay, okay, I get the point. I promise, Lexa. I really am fine."

"Oi!" Lila called to the pair. "Are you gonna stand there chit-chatting all day or are you gonna come take a look at this scrawny old guy?"

The couple exchanged exasperated looks before they joined her. Raspy breathing sounded from the chamber to indicate that the person inside was alive. Lila gave the skinny, pale legs that stretched out towards the foot of the containment a disgusted look. The body was covered in nothing but a loincloth which showed off how emaciated the man's form was.

"That's him, huh?" Five asked. He set the manual down on the nearby table. "The founder."

"Looks like tinned beef," the woman commented. "I was expecting more man and less. . ." She lightly hit the metal casing. "Can."

Five's progress towards the vessel slowed as his gaze fell on the man's face. "It can't be."

"What's wrong?"