Chapter 1

Selena's POV

Disbelief. Disbelief is all I felt as I gaped at the man wearing a black tailored suit sat in front of me with a black leather folder in front of him on the table. No mocking or amusement shone from his eyes as his ocean blues pierced into my nervous, shocked chocolate brown ones.

My heart mercilessly raced in my chest as my hands grew clammy with sweat.

"P-pardon?" I shakily stammered, not believing what I was hearing. I discreetly tightened my hold on my scrubs as I tried to absorb all the information I had just heard, but it felt impossible.

"I am aware this is all difficult to digest, but as you are aware Mr Hill had no children, spouse or traceable family members but in the time that you had shared together, I believe you became family to him. Miss Daly, Mr Hill grew to have great trust and affections for you, which is why he entrusted his greatest treasure to you. You meant quite a great deal for Mr Hill, Miss Daly and you were the only person he could trust with his family mansion, Hill Mansion. As I am sure you are aware, it has been passed down in his family for generations," He spoke as he pulled out a white envelope from the file.

"And aside the mansion, Mr Hill has also entrusted his funds to you." He finished, but this time, I could not keep quiet.

"What?" I exclaimed incredulously, just to receive a poker face from Mr Lawyer as he lifted the envelope in my direction.

"Yes, and he was aware you would react in this way and so he left me with this," He indicated to in his hand, while encouragingly pointing it in my direction for me to take."This letter should ease your worries."

I carefully reached my hand out for the envelope, which he placed on my hand before patiently resting his forearms on the table as I gently opened the envelope as to not tear the paper.

My Little Berry,

If you are reading this, it must mean I am now with my Darling Elizabeth. I'm sure she must be talking my ear off by now, but I'll endure.

That little part had me letting out a teary laugh as I felt my eyes burn from the oncoming tears. Lawrence never failed to tell me stories about his high school Sweetheart and wife, Elizabeth who died during child birth 10 years prior. Unfortunately, their newborn child followed days after, but even so, Mr Hill remained a funny person. Always shining as bright as the sun, but he failed to get the heart transplant he needed on time. Now he's gone.

A sob wrecked my body as drop after drop of tears fell onto the paper in my shaking hands while blurring my vision. A tissue box suddenly appeared in front of me, urging me to look up at the Lawyer who now wore a soft smile as he gestured with his head for me to pull out some tissue, which I did with a teary smile.

I quickly swiped at my eyes, just so I could continue reading.

I will look out for you while I am here and I'll make sure to find you a good and young gentleman while I'm at it.

I stopped to giggle and wipe my eyes with a shake of my head. He always pastered me about getting a boyfriend. I'll miss that man.

But now, onto more pressing matters, my Dear. As you have probably heard, I have left you with all my assets, including my family mansion. Please feel free to do as you please with it. As much as I would wish for you to keep it in your possession, selling it is always an option as well, it's your choice, Selly Berry.