"Okay ka lang?"

Suminghot siya at dinampihan ng panyo ang mga luha niya. "I'm alright. These are tears of happiness. I'm just happy you're my mistress, Mrs. Rozanov. This young lady was blessed to be by your side." Bahagya itong yumukod upang magpakita ng galang at itago ang pagragasa ng emosyon niya.

"Katarina." Without her, I'd probably be lonely. Katarina was a ball of sunshine amongst this darkness. She guided me through everything and sometimes took the responsibility of scolding me like Nana. I was grateful to meet her.

A knock interrupted us. I glanced at the door when it swung open, revealing a nicely dressed Kazmus in a black three-piece tuxedo and wingtip collar with a bow. His cufflinks matched the color of my dress. Gold and luxury. And his hair was brushed down, with his bangs partially covering his eyes, allowing everyone to see his golds while yet concealing them to pique curiosity.

Our eyes met. Lingered. Lost by each other.

"You looked like the first sunray in the morning."

"The annoying light that disturbs you at sleep?"

He chuckled. Hindi ko namalayan na nasa harapan ko na ito at maingat na kinuha ang isang kamay ko.

"The first light that reminds me to keep living," he answered, staring deep into my eyes.

I gasped when he slipped a ring on my finger. I stared at him with wide eyes as I examined the ring which had two small pears meeting in the middle. Kazmus brought my hand to his lips, kissing the ring. His softness was lingering on my skin.

"It's an engagement ring. I want everyone to see that you belong to me."

I grinned, shaking my head.

"It's beautiful."

"I'm glad you liked it. Are you ready?"

"No, she isn't yet, Lord Kazmus," Katarina chimed in, pulling me away from Kazmus and bringing me back in front of the full-length mirror. "We need five minutes to gather her confidence."

Nakangiwi akong nagkibit-balikat kay Kazmus. He pursed his lips, his eyes lingering on my face.

"Alright. I'll see you at the entrance."

Tumango ako. Nagtagal muna ang tingin niya sa akin bago siya umatras ng isang beses bago tuluyang tumalikod at lumabas ng kwarto. I let out a breath when the door closed behind him.

"Katarina, I think I'm going to faint."

Umangat ang tingin ni Katarina na siyang binu-brush ng kung anong brush ang skirt ko.

"I know, Mrs. Rozanov. Lord Kazmus knew his way to a woman's heart. So keep him and keep the other women away from your future husband."

Hindi niya ako kailangang paalalahanan dahil nakahanda akong sumabak sa gyera ng mga Amazona para kay Kazmus.

→→→

Kazmus men were stationed in every corner of the house, dressed in black tuxedos and armed behind their coats, alert and stoic. Their eyes mauled everyone who came into their view as if their eyes were an x-ray and they could see what was hidden inside the confines of the people's clothing. 

Sinalubong ako ni Kazmus sa balcony kung saan sabay kaming bababa sa engrandeng hagdanan at magpapakita sa daang-daang bisita ngayong gabi. I could hear the women's giggles, the men's boisterous laughter, and the clicking of wine glasses from the second floor where I was. The best orchestra hired for tonight was playing the soft, melodious song.