The Start of Something New

Start from the beginning

Tiamat laughed merrily, "My title would have me placed above my people, and the moment a leader believe themselves to be something more than their people, they cease to serve them how they ought. But enough of that, what did you wish to say to me?"

"There are two things: the first is that I feel I must explain why I was hesitant to reveal this information. I fear for the young girl. She is kind, intelligent and joyous. I fear that knowing her fate will rip those things from her. The second is that she wishes to come to visit the colony."

Tiamat waited for a moment of silence before responding. "Of course, she may come to the colony, it would be an honour to have her. As for the first question, I understand your concern. Her arrival means that the darkness connected to her prophecy will also rise, and the first thing evil destroys is innocence. I do not know when the prophecy will come to pass, it could be when she is old, or in a matter of years. I believe that, because of this, we must tell her. She has a right to know, and I believe it will be better if we are honest with her sooner rather than later. That way, even when innocence is taken, trust will not be. She will need as many people behind her as possible. I would rather she find them here, where she will be loved, than elsewhere where they may be seduced by her power."

Galatea frowned but nodded. They didn't like it, but the truth was seldom what they wished it was. "Will you tell the humans about her? Will you tell Dumbledore?" Much to their surprise, Tiamat threw her head back slightly and let out a mirthful laugh.

"No my child, no human shall know but the ones she herself wishes to tell, least of all Dumbledore." At Galatea's confused expression she elaborated. "He is wise, for a wizard, and his plans are ultimately for good. I respect him for these qualities, but I do not trust him wholly as a leader nor an ally.

He is a chess player. He confides in none and he moves his players around at will, sacrificing them at times for what he calls 'the greater good' - a flimsy term for his own victory against his opponents. He runs from his mistakes to avoid accountability and loss of power.

To expose who and what the girl is, would be to forfeit her to his game, and I will not allow that to happen to her. It was our colony that foretold her coming, and that gives me the authority to protect her. From this point hereafter, she is one of us, and will be protected as such."

Relief was washing over Galatea in waves as they absorbed their Chieftess' words. Magorian had been right; they hadn't even disclosed Ivy's name yet and she was already accepted into the colony. The tension they'd been holding in their body since the start of the school year slowly melted away.

They'd often felt alone because of their past and consequent upbringing, and although they'd improved, they still had to remind themselves sometimes that they weren't really alone. Their colony was a family, every one of them, and they'd never face anything alone that they didn't want to.

Galatea couldn't be happier to be bringing Ivy into that, and when they finally left Tiamat to swim home, they were nearly bursting with excitement at getting to tell her the news.

Back to the present:

Galatea couldn't seem to stop pacing frantically. They'd been thrilled to tell Ivy she was welcome to visit the colony all week, but now that the moment had actually come, the old knots from before their conversation with Tiamat were returning with a vengeance.

They looked up and saw Ivy sitting cross-legged in front of the window, waiting patiently. There was nothing to be done for it, they had to go talk to her. Closing their eyes, they gathered their courage by recalling Tiamat's words.

Ivy brightened when Galatea appeared in front of the window, and she immediately launched into a bubbly greeting. "Galatea! I'm so happy to see you! It's been such a week, the only thing getting me through parts of it was the prospect of seeing you and hearing if I could come or not. Can I? What did the Chieftess say? Wait, no, sorry I'm being rude, first, how have you been?"