The Start of Something New

They smiled again and nodded. Reminding themselves that he was right, they swam towards the palace. It was time to tell their chieftess the truth about Medusa Ivy Stone.

Flashback to a week ago: continued.

Galatea arrived at the gates of the palace with their hands trembling and their throat constricted. They smiled and nodded at the two guards who kept watch by the gates. They wore sculpted breastplates and fearsome helmets of bronze, and their spears were heavier than the common ones everyone carried.

Galatea was unfazed by their frightening appearance. They'd known both of them since they were born, and they'd grown up playing together in the seaweed. They'd even trained together when they were teenagers.

All the selkies in their colony, and in most cold water colonies, were very militaristic at their core. Every able citizen was expected to train as a warrior, and they were all fearsome fighters. The Chieftess never demanded they continue to serve as one, only that they be trained and remain ready. Galatea agreed with the system; anyone who wanted to pursue other interests was encouraged to do so, but the necessary training was crucial. Open water mermaids could run and escape if the need arose. Their colony had nowhere to go, as they knew too well.

Most days the appearance of the guards wouldn't have interfered with Galateas train of thought, but as they swam through the courtyard and through the entryway, they found themselves seeing everything through a new lens: how Ivy might react.

Even this daunting thought fled from their mind as they swam into the main hall where their Chieftess sat. They continued through the massive room hesitantly.

At the front of the room, the counsellors of the colony were gathered speaking to the Chieftess. Galatea waited silently a little while away from the group, waiting for them to finish. When they did, they all bowed to each other and began to break apart, many of them smiling and nodding at Galatea when they left.

Soon it was only them and the Chieftess in the hall, who extended her hand warmly towards them as an invitation to approach. Finishing the stretch of the room, Galatea took her hand and bowed their head.

"Why have you come here so late Galatea? Could it be the same reason why you have had worry clouding your face these past months?" As soon as she started talking, Galatea began to feel ease spreading through their body.

Their Chieftess spoke in a kind, calming voice that rose and fell softly in her words, like a gentle tide lapping the shores. Galatea took in a deep breath and began. They told her of seeing Ivy and feeling her power from afar, of knowing she was not like the other students, and of observing her from afar. They continued on: realizing she was a siren from her singing, their first discussion through the glass, and finally their meeting that morning.

They had been looking at the floor of the hall the entire time, but as they finished they looked into their Chieftess' eyes. Much to their relief, they held no anger, resentment or fear, only concern.

After a moment, she spoke. "Oh my child, what a burden you have had to bear." Galatea looked back at the floor with a slight frown. They felt guilty, her first reaction was kindness when they had hidden something from her.

She reached down and softly grabbed their chin, making them look at her. "Do not hide your eyes in shame, for I am not angry. I wish for you, and everyone in this colony to feel as though they can trust me, but I could never punish actions taken out of empathy, care and regard for another's safety, as I suspect yours were."

Galatea smiled, reassured and relieved. They hesitantly went to speak. "Chieftess," at this their leader raised her eyebrows and smiled at them. Galatea smiled. "Tiamat, I apologize, but you know it's strange that you wish to be called by your name and not your title."