𝟏𝟖. chupacabra

Start from the beginning

"Chupacabra?" Rick queried, his eyebrows raising with confusion.

"You never heard this?" Dale suddenly spoke up, placing a duffel full of guns on the hood. "The first night the three big kids arrived in camp, Daryl tells us that the whole thing reminds him of a time when he went squirrel hunting and saw a chupacabra," he handed a gun over to Rick as he finished his sentence.

Unexpectedly, Jimmy let out a small laugh, causing the attention to fall onto him. "What are you braying at, jackass?" Daryl asked, narrowing his eyes at the boy.

"So you believe in a blood-sucking dog?"

Daryl then became defensive, sticking out his chest and shoving his shoulders back, "Do you believe dead people walking around?" Jimmy just shrugged, unsure on what to respond with and reached out for the gun Rick had placed down.

"Hey, hey," Rick stopped him, "Ever fire one before?"

"Well, if I'm going out, I want one," he defended.

Daryl threw his crossbow over his shoulder and scoffed, "Yeah, and people in hell want slurpees."

Just as Daryl began to walk away, Kloe turned around at him, "Hey," he stopped and faced the girl over his shoulder. "Good luck," she quickly smiled.

Like always, he grunted as a response and continued to walk away. The rest of the group started to talk about gun training. As much as Kloe never wanted to use a gun in her life, despite the fact she used one the night the camp got overrun, she knew sooner or later she'd have to.

She departed from the group and tread away. She wanted to be far from the discussions, she wanted to be alone, she wanted to look up at the sky and have someone tell her it would be okay. So that's what she did. She stopped dead in her tracks and stared up at the cloudy sky.

It had some patches of clear blue sky, but most of it was just clouds unfortunately. Her shoulders dropped with disappointment, but she still continued to look at the sky. It still calmed her, even if it was just blank.

Kloe's ears suddenly got blessed with the sound of guitar strings strumming. Her head shot over to the direction it was coming from, and it was coming from Glenn. He had a guitar, one that was similar to her old one, an acoustic guitar, when she was fifteen, and was sitting on the porch steps.

A smile etched her lips and her body began to make its way over to the boy. As she came to a stop, it seemed he didn't notice the girl and he continued to strum his fingers against the guitar. Her face grimaced as she heard the guitar was out of tune.

"Want me to fix the tuning?" Kloe questioned, catching Glenn's attention which made him stop playing.

Glenn's eyes flickered between the guitar and Kloe's dark brown eyes, "It's out of tune? I thought it was just me playing it badly."

"Nah, I think you're quite good," she corrected, stepping up the few steps where Glenn sat. He was sitting near the top, so she sat a step behind him, "The guitar is ruining it though."

She extended out her arm, gesturing to the boy to hand the guitar over, which he did. Kloe softly smiled since it felt amazing to hold a guitar again. She hadn't held one in seven years, and all the memories came flooding back as she felt the shape in her palms.

Mindlessly, the same smile plastered onto her lips as she twisted the pegs. She repeatedly strummed one string at a time as she tuned the instrument, Glenn carefully watching while she did it. "How did you get this?" she asked as she continued to find the correct tune.

"Uh, Dale found it on the highway. Pretty cool," he answered, staring at the musical instrument. "It, uh, instantly reminded me of you."

A teasing grin formed on Kloe's lips as she looked up at him in the corner of my eyes, "How so?"