Mahd Wy'ry

PRESENT DAY
TORONTO

You sighed as you laid down on the couch, rubbing your forehead. With the world coming to an end, the only thing that had been running through your mind was when you had actually been happy.

Nebula's words kept repeating in your mind. Should you go see Druig? No. You know he would see you as the monster you were, surely. Maybe he wouldn't? No. He would. You could feel it.

And even if he didn't, everyone else would. You think.

The stress of everything came flooding back and that feeling returned causing you to jolt up immediately and begin to try to calm down. You bolted to the bathroom, looking at yourself in the mirror.

The veins in your face flickered orange, as did your eyes but you let out a shaky exhale, closing your eyes.

-

1521 AD
TENOCHTITLAN

The screams and cries of the humans filled the city. A war raged on as buildings burned down. Humans continue to slaughter one another.

You and some other Eternals gathered in the woods near the city, watching everything take place. You stood with Druig, holding his hand in a tight grip.

He held your hand in an even tighter grip, having not allowed you to leave his sight all day. With the way your mind was racing with many thoughts and the panicked feeling he felt from you, he was worried. Really worried.

"Where are the others?" Ajak asks as she watched Thena and Makkari approach.

"We had to split up." Makkari signed

"There were more Deviants then you said." Thena spoke up

"Well, I'm sure that was a lot of fun for you." You spoke up, the Goddess smirking at you.

"It was." She nods, causing you to chuckle at your friends humour

"Once the others kill these last Deviants, we will have eliminated them all from the planet." Phastos said

But in the distance, gunshots were heard as the humans chased those who tried to run from the war.

Druig, unable to take it anymore, stepped forward. His eyes were gold as Ajak stepped behind him. "Don't." She said, his eyes returning back to blue. "We don't interfere in their wars."

As the gunshots grew louder, you began feeling off. And you didn't miss the way Thena's skin flickered for a moment.

"This isn't war." Druig said, not paying attention to your thoughts as voices filled your head. "It's genocide. Their weapons have become too deadly." He then turned to Phastos. "Maybe it wasn't such a good idea helping them advance, Phastos."

You let out a heavy sigh, backing away from the others and rubbing the side of your head.

"Technology is a part of their evolutionary process, Druig. It's not exactly something I can stop." Phastos states

"No, you can't. But I can." Druig spoke up

"Stay strong." Makkari sighed as she loved to stand before Druig, the two friends looking at each other

"It's to late." Thena said

When Sersi turned and saw both you and Thena staring blankly, she grew fearful. Especially when she saw the orange floating in your eyes, your veins glowing.

"Everyone is going to die." You said as Thena's eyes clouded over.

"Thena? Adara? Are you two ok?" Sersi asks

Fire appeared in your palms while a trident appeared in Thena's.

"Adara? Thena?" Sersi asked again

That's when the others looked to both of you, also noticing your state. Druig grew confused when he saw the fire in your hands and your eyes filled with hate. But he couldn't get in your mind.

When Thena made the move to attack Sersi, Makkari quickly grabbed her and zoomed out of the kill zone.

You didn't process their shouts as you shot fire at Phastos, both Druig and Ajak crouching beside him. Thena formed a shield which you jumped onto and she sent you flying into the air.

When you came crashing back down, your force sent the three flying back. As Makkari grabbed Thena, you floated into the sky and Ajak realized what you were doing and how bad it was about to get with the large amount of fire in the city.

Just as you began to absorb it, a metal cuff began to clasp onto your leg and pull you back down, no matter how much you fought it. Phastos.

You had been chained to the ground when Druig rushed over, hands outstretched to show he meant no harm.

"My beautiful Adara, you know me. Come now. Come back to me." He gently said

But you still felt suspicious as the screams filled your head, unable to make them stop. He advanced even more, daring to touch your hand. He grunted as the fire burned him but he allowed you to grab onto him,  running your hands along his own.

As your eyes began to clear and your glowing veins stopped glowing, your breathing began to calm.

"Druig?" You ask

"Yes, my love. Come, now. It's alright." He whispered

And soon enough, you were you again. But the bad memories were still there.

"Adara!" Thanos shouted as he watched you float into the sky, the giant celestial above in the sky watching closely.

"Thanos!" You shout but you were taken away. And no one has seen you since.

Druig watched this memory in confusion but Ajak approached with her arm around Thena's shoulder.

-

"I thought Mahd Wy'ry was a myth." Sersi said, staring down at you and Thena who rested on a table, sleeping.

"There is no cure... so no one really talks about it." Phastos said

You gasped awake, jolting up as Thena opened her eyes, breathing heavily.
Druig was at your side in seconds, already holding you.

"What happened?" Thena asked

"Girls... you attacked everyone. Wounded Sersi, Phastos, you nearly killed Makkari." Ajak explained

"I don't remember." Thena said but you stayed silent, filled with anger.

"You both have Mahd Wy'ry. Your minds are fracturing under the weight of your memories. And all I can do is erase them so that you both can start over." Ajak said. "I will have to inform Arishem and take you back to the ship where we have the technology to help you."

"No." You immediately said

"Adara-"

"I won't have my memories erased again!" You shout, shocking everyone

"Again?" Makkari signed, worry glued to her face

You grabbed Ajak and rested your forehead on hers. And her eyes closed, as did yours. And you showed her everything.