Chapter Nine

"I make an LZ, twenty-three hundred block of Virginia Avenue. Rendezvous two minutes. Taking fire above and below expressway. Civilians threatened. Repeat, civilians threatened."

A few minutes ago, Nat recorded herself on her phone calling for backup while we were huddled behind a blue car. When she was done, she set the phone down and pressed playback before we ran to hide. Her plan was to ambush him. Since we were smaller, and he had a bigger gun, the element of surprise was essential.

We saw the Winter Soldier creep towards our distraction, hearing Nat's voice. He crouched, shouldering his rifle, and he took out a grenade before rolling it towards where Nat's voice was coming from. I watched as the grenade exploded, and fire and smoke billowed into the sky.

While the Winter Soldier was distracted, Nat jumped out and kicked his gun before wrapping her legs around his neck and sitting on his shoulders. Then she took out a zip-cord and attempted to strangle him.

He held the cord from fully wrapping around his throat.

Since his hands were preoccupied, I took my chance and sliced my arms through the air, sending energy blades into his stomach. He staggered back into a car, jolting Nat a bit. Taking the chance, the Winter Soldier reached up and grabbed Nat before throwing her towards me.

I gasped and held my hands out, letting my tendrils catch her in the air. Unfortunately, I wasn't entirely fast enough, and I was pushed back into the grey sports car behind me, Nat landing stomach-down on my lap.

The Winter Soldier lifted his rifle from the ground and aimed it at us. As he was about to shoot, I threw an energy sphere at his metal arm, forcing him to shoot the ground. Nat and I took our chance to run away.

...

(Third Person POV)

Aurelia's energy blast radiated throughout the metal plates and wiring, taking the arm out of commission.

But it was only for a moment.

The Winter Soldier stared down at his immobile appendage, watching the separate plates whir back to life. When the cogs were back together, he performed a forward arm-circle, setting the arm back in place.

"No wonder they wanted the girl; she had potential," the Winter Soldier thought.

...

"Get out of the way! Stay out of the way!" Nat and I yelled at the panicking civilians. I wanted nothing more than to stop and help them evacuate, but I couldn't do that with an assassin right on my tail.

Suddenly, a shot rang out, and in the next instant, glass from a nearby car shattered and Nat went down with a pain-filled grunt. "Nat!" I yelled as I dropped down next to her. She was hit in the shoulder and bleeding profusely. We scooted back against the car for cover.

Our breaths were ragged, and our hearts were trying to escape from our rib cages as we surveyed our surroundings. The Winter Soldier was nowhere to be seen, but I could sense him.

My shield swirled around us, and I was ready.

Just then, the Winter Soldier landed on a car adjacent to us, aiming his rifle. As he was about to fire, Steve came charging in, taking the soldier's attention from Nat and me.

Metal clashed against metal, sounding like the Liberty Bell as the Winter's Soldier's fist collided with Steve's shield.

As they became wrapped in their own fight, I sighed in relief and lifted my hands towards Nat's wound. My gentle wisps swam through the air, into the gaping hole, and began the healing process. Nat whimpered as the wisps stitched her skin back together.