[⁴] ᵍⁱʳˡˢ ʷᵃⁿᵗᵉᵈ

Mulai dari awal

"We'll see who he ends up preferring." She threatened, flicking her straight black hair as she stood up. "Excuse me while I go talk to the manager."

Phoebe returned to Walter, not caring to stop and watch the three girls leave in Kaylee's search for Luis.

He saw her dismay in the way she carried herself. She was slouching more than usual.

"What happened?"

"Mission failed. She wants to work here so she can earn dough like this." Phoebe pointed at her pocket.

His ploy backfired. He'd only wanted to make that girl jealous of Phoebe's success. Instead, he'd driven her into Phoebe's workplace.

"Damn... I'm so sorry."

"You were just trying to help." Phoebe looked away as she tuck a strand of hair that had slipped out of the ponytail behind her ear.

"And I'll keep trying. If she does end up working here, I won't let her near me."

Her gaze returned to him.

"Who says I want you all to myself?" Phoebe asked, acting as though she hadn't just told Kaylee how Walter was all hers.

"That look in your eyes before. Your act doesn't fool me." She scowled, to which Walter half-smiled. "Don't worry, I won't bring it up again." He knew how to grind her gears, but also knew it was best not to push it. She was being nice that day. Perhaps it was because, as she said, she preferred him over that girl.

Point to Walter.

Phoebe stepped aside, letting him get out of his seat.

"Have a nice day, Phoebe," he told her lastly.

Phoebe didn't have a nice day. Or consecutive days.

Expectedly, money was short. They could get by, more or less. The lavish bills, rent, and taxes that came with living in Manhattan could get paid. Roughly.

Dana had a full-time job, Phoebe had the restaurant, and Joanna had two part-time jobs that she somehow still managed to balance.

But her mother's classes were extremely expensive, leaving little to no money for anything else, let alone saving up.

College was still a no-go.

Even if Phoebe took a second job as well, she saw no remedy. Besides, with school and the restaurant, there were no hours left in the day.

Phoebe kept hanging out with her friends, going to the club and learning to dance like them. But it was humiliating when they suggested activities like the movies or the arcade. Each time she opened her purse, it was lacking.

Jake was usually the one who paid the difference, which also went without saying, was humiliating too.

She couldn't help those feelings. But what Phoebe didn't always realize was that her friends also had their moments of insecurity.

For example Mike and Jen. The situation between their parents was upsetting to them. Phoebe had only fully learned about it when she stayed the night with Jen at her mom's. It was a one-bedroom apartment in upper Manhattan, and what made it a 'two-bedroom' was a curtain separating Jen's bed from the living in room. Meanwhile, Mike usually stayed with their dad in lower Manhattan more often.

On the bright side, Walter did as he promised when Kaylee got the job at Windows on the World.

Kaylee had made no notice that Phoebe's warning 'he's mine' was genuine. Until she sneakily tried going up to Walter on her first day.