Making a Discovery (Fixed)

Start from the beginning

"And the second victim? I know we don't have much yet but for what we do have." Amelia asked.

"His employment is still a mystery. But he does have a small criminal background in drugs." (Y/N) informed.

"Then maybe our victim met up with our murderer for a drug deal before things went south." Amelia theorized.

(Y/N) started putting the files back in his bag while asking, "What do you think the chances are we can find some drugs around here?"

"Not sure. Unfortunately, even if the murderer did come here for drugs it won't get us any closer to finding him. We need to look for things that will lead us to him." Amelia said.

"Yeah. I was hoping that there would be some kind of pattern to who he kills. Like he has a preference. It seems that he does though. The two victims have nothing in common." (Y/N) said.

"Yeah, this is starting to look like another dead-end," Amelia said. "Man, it would be so easy to just go back in time and see who he is but that would be against the rules."

"I don't understand why you can't," (Y/N) said. 

"Because timelines are very sensitive." Amelia started. "If I were to go back in time and see who he was, who knows what kind of effect that would have on the timeline. Or what if he saw me. If he saw me when I'm technically not supposed to be there then that could rip the space-time continuum apart!" 

"And how exactly is that any different from when you used your time manipulation against me when we fought?" (Y/N) asked.

"I was using it on myself in a small way. When I used my time manipulation to go back to a previous point that I was at, it became part of my timeline. You can think of it as a way for the timeline to correct itself. I try to avoid using my power on things that would make a big difference. Like saving someone's life for example." Amelia explained.

"You would let someone die even if you could save them?" (Y/N) asked.

"Unfortunately, I have to. A person's death is considered a big event in a timeline. When a person dies, a lot of people are affected. If I were to take away those effects then the timeline would be forced to correct itself. Sometimes the timeline can correct itself just fine in which case the person that I saved would end up dying anyway in a different way. Or something even worse will happen." Amelia ranted.

"And what's that?" (Y/N) asked, trying to digest everything she was throwing at him.

"It's never happened to me but Kronii told me that if the timeline is unable to correct itself it will start to break apart. The Universe will simply start to collapse because the timeline is going haywire. Kronii explained it as what would happen if an impossible variable tried to take on a physical form. Like, for example, have negative 3 apples. That is impossible and therefore the universe can't comprehend it and collapses. Now imagine that but on a universal scale. That's what could happen if I'm not careful." Amelia explained.

"Damn," (Y/N) said.

"Yep," Amelia replied. She then started walking towards the door. "We should go search around the city. We need to try and find a trail we can follow."

-Hours of Searching Later-

"Where did you find this blood trail anyway?" (Y/N) asked Amelia who was intensely following the trail of blood.

"I saw it out of the corner of my eye. I've told you I'm an expert detective, right?" Amelia said cheerfully.

"You won't let me forget it." (Y/N) mumbled.

"I have a feeling this will lead to something useful," Amelia said. "This could be the blood trail of a victim or the puller of heartstrings himself."

"Did you really need to refer to him like that?" (Y/N) asked.