Chapter 17

Chapter 17

"It just seemed strange, you know?"

I was reclined against the head board of my bed, spinning a pencil between my fingers idly while I stared at the ceiling. My homework sat in a pile on the floor, forgotten, except for the algebra which Hex was diligently filling out at the foot of the bed.

"You know, you'll never learn this if I keep doing it for you," he reminded me.

I sighed and sat back up to look at him.

"Exactly," I said. "Mr. Baker is a teacher. He should want me to learn that stuff. Can't teachers get into trouble for that sort of thing?"

Hex shrugged, his eyes maintaining their focus on the notebook in his lap, and muttered, "Maybe he's a creep."

I snorted. "That's what Ellie calls you."

All in all, Hex didn't seem nearly as disturbed by Mr. Baker's kindness as I did. In fact, he literally couldn't seem to care less. He lifted the math homework, pointed to a problem and said, "This is  a linear equation."

I groaned and leaned back again.

"For a high school drop out you take this stuff way too seriously."

In the other room Ellie's music suddenly turned on, full blast. Hex looked to the wall where the muffled thrum was reverberating the items on my dresser and then back at me for an explanation.

"It's normal," I assured him. But he couldn't hear me so I had to repeat it louder. I rolled off of the bed and to the window to peer past the curtain. It seemed to me that Ellie never used the front door when she sneaked out. Sure enough Ellie was climbing out of the window, still dressed like a senator's wife. She found footing on the thatched fencing where Dad had once tried to grow ivy and turned to lower her window carefully until it was just barely closed. After climbing down the fence a few feet, she dropped onto the ground.

"What's she doing?" asked Hex. He opened the curtain further to look as he leaned over my shoulder and I slapped his hand away.

"She might see us!" I said.

But Ellie was already striding down the side walk, as if she was just on a stroll, cell phone to her ear. She didn't bother looking back.

With a quick glance towards  Hex I made my decision. I shoved my feet into a pair of slippers, struggled with the latch on my window, one handedly, and pushed it open.

"Maggie," Hex began.

"You go first," I said as a gust of bracing cold wind blew into my face. "That way you can catch me if I fall."

"But-"

"Fine," I sighed, impatiently. It was probably a long shot expecting him to be the hero of every situation. "But if I break my other arm I'll sue you."

I climbed through my window awkwardly and found the fenced siding as well. Moving down it was a test of wits as well as patience. I had one less hand to help me and the process of climbing typically required two. Even so, I managed to get all the way down. When my feet were firmly planted in snow I looked up at Hex, expectantly. He was faster than I was. He had already closed the window and, moments later, dropped like Ellie had. He was smarter than I was too. He had kept his boots on. My slippers were thin and uncomfortable, the winter chill bit at my heels and made it all the more urgent that we move.

"C'mon," I said, heading for the sidewalk.

"What are we doing?" Hex kept pace with me but he didn't sound as on board as I wanted him to be.