21: For Now

The broken Assistant jumps onto the car's roof. It bangs its body against the roof's thick metals, that soon become imprinted in large dents, which take up the shape of angry, broken fists.

I bite my lip. "I trust you," I tell Gilbert.

For now.

And that is all he needs to stop the car.

The Assistant that had once been above us goes flying across the tunnel. At first, I wonder if it might be over—it definitely would've been if this thing was human. It seems Gilbert knows better though, for he wastes no time grabbing a gun from his pocket, and handing it over to me. "Here, Sir. Please, stay safe," he says.

I gulp. "You don't want any help?"

From afar, the Assistant starts to rise. As it runs toward us again, Gilbert shakes his head. "No," he mutters. "I don't believe that will be necessary. But—" He presses his palm to my knuckles and guides my fingers, until they are curled around his gun. "Just in case," Gilbert tells me. "Do not worry. I am merely taking the necessary precautions, Sir."

But I do worry. And I cannot comprehend how it is that he can still smile as freely as he does, in a situation like this.

I reach out to try and hold Gilbert back, however, he's already gone when I grab at the hems of his coat. And I can't go out there to drag him into the car. Doing so would be signing a contract with death herself, which is something I'd rather avoid. At least, not yet—not until I've figured out how to get me, and everyone else, out of this dump.

Stuck inside on one of the car's front seats, I watch in silence as the broken Assistant comes to a halt before Gilbert's frame. It is like the android has recognised Gilbert as one of its own, because it immediately side-steps the idiot robot, then comes dashing right toward the car. Toward me.

"Fuck." I fumble around for the gun. I ready myself to shoot, and count down in my head from one to three—yet, by the time I reach the number two, I find my plan isn't necessary anymore.

The artificial veins running across Gilbert's model blink into an electric blue. The details within his eyes glow a similar colour. He holds out his arm, and from it, is formed a magnificent shield, whose beauty even I can't deny. Then, he, too, comes speeding toward the me, past the Assistant that he pushes back, with the help of his shield.

But it's not enough. It never is when it comes to these damned androids. And the corrupted Assistant claws at Gilbert's feeble attempts to keep it away.

My shoulders tense. I brace myself to dash out of the car and help him if I have to, however, the sight I am met with turns my expectations into a joke.

Gilbert shoves against the Assistant's every push. Between each small battle they fight, Gilbert's body grows larger, until it is entirely converted into armour resembling that of a modern knight's.

I part my lips and gasp. I've never seen anything like this. It's... beautiful.

He's beautiful.

Gilbert lets out a low grunt. It takes me out of my thoughts; shoves me back into reality.

As he mouths the words 'Forgive me,' and his transformation finally reaches its completion, I cannot see his face anymore. It is covered by a mask whose glass gleams a dark navy blue. By his side, a sword that matches his shield has been summoned, and his brawl meets its end before it even truly had time to begin.

Gilbert's blade brings swift death to the Assistant before him. The entirety of the android's existence is eradicated by the sword plunged deep within the its core.

I cannot move. I'm stunned. I've never felt this powerless in my life.

I don't know how many minutes pass, but I can't rip my attention away from the scene.

Assistants shouldn't be able to do all that Gilbert has done tonight.

He isn't normal. He's far beyond any machine I've ever met before. And I despise the tingles that run across my fingertips—the excitement thrumming in my heart—because it makes me remember my love for androids and technology that I had, before they passed away.

 And I despise the tingles that run across my fingertips—the excitement thrumming in my heart—because it makes me remember my love for androids and technology that I had, before they passed away