Cheater4

Mia POV

I stood up from the kitchen island as I rubbed my back, being almost 40 definitely has taken a toll on my body. Pouring myself a coffee I grabbed my briefcase, and phone before slipping on my shoes. It was 7am and I was already running late for my meeting. I opened the door and bumped into the mailman on my doorstep My coffee fell out of my hand and onto the concrete floor.
"ZWhat the he-" but once I looked up I was speechless. This was no mailman. My voice hitched in my throat as I saw a young woman standing infront of me.
"Mom?" She questioned as she froze. I examined her features, black frizzy hair, thick eyebrows and freckles scattered all over her cheeks.
"Riah?"
"I- I understand if you don't want me here I just-"
I engulfed her into a hug, the smell of Victoria secret and hair oils filled my nose as I hugged my long lost daughter. She didn't hesitate to hug me back as I felt a wet patch on my chest, I couldn't keep my tears at bay as I let one slide down my cheek.
"My babygirl." I whispered kissing her as she pulled away hiccuping.
"I'm sorry is this a wrong time, i can come back another time I-" she stuttered but I was quick to cut her off.
"No never. Come in." I opened my door as she stepped into the house, I was mesmerised. My daughter was really standing right infront of me.
"Come you can sit on the couch." I pointed as I quickly messaged my boss saying I wouldn't be in today. My phone started ringing off the hook so I turned it off.
"I- do you- could I get you anything?" Jesus I need to pull it together.
"I'm fine, thank you." She smiled wiping her hands on her pants.
"I have sprinkle cake if you want some?"
Her head snapped at me as if she was surprised.
"You remembered my favourite?"
"Of course, I remember everything about you." I mumbled the last part as I sighed. I cut her a slice as I met her on the couch.
I just took in her features as she tucked some hair behind her ear, she was perfect.
She took my silence as her chance to speak as she started rambling.
"I've worked so hard to find you and now that I'm right infront of you there's so much to say but I don't know how to say any of it. I guess what I mean is, I'm sorry."
I squinted at her, if anything it's me that should apologise.
" I didn't mean to tell dad what happened, I was just young and stupid, and if I could take it all back I would, I've missed you every single day since you've left I was young. And when you left dad got wierd and he was never coming home and- I just wanted to know...why didn't you come back"
"Well the first thing I want to say is, you are not the problem, you were never the problem baby. Wether you would've told Keith or not had nothing to do with our breakup. We just weren't meant to be. That day after I put you to bed, things got out of hand and he called the cops on me."
She stared at me in shock.
"The reason I haven't seen you all those years is because-
"He put you on a restraining order." She said lowly playing with her nails. I left the tears fall out my eyes as I watched her feel vulnerable. I never realised how much me not being in her life would affect her.
"How did you know I couldn't see you?" I asked her. She looked up at me with sadness as her eyes welled up.
"After you left dad got bad. His temper was crazy and he'd have these...blackout modes."
"What do you mean blackout modes." I leaned further to the edge of my seat as I watched her mood shift.
"He- he'd get really angry and tear the house apart in rage. Then he'd get really aggressive, never to me, but to everyone else. Then after that he'd be gone, he'd leave me alone in the house for weeks on end. Then he'd come back and we pretend like nothing happened. But I can't do this anymore, I'm tired mom."
She sighed as she rubbed her temple leaning back.
"It's like he's lost...and I know it sounds crazy but it's like he's... looking for you."
I was taken back by what she said. I'd gotten over him ages ago but I swallowed my pride and grabbed her hand. I know I shouldn't care about him but part of me does. I want the best for him so my daughter can be happy. She's traveled all this way to look for me it's the least I can do.
"Take me to him, I know what to do."