"What does happen when you die, Miss Sadie?" a little boy named Joseph asked. He had scraggly brown hair that kept falling in his eyes.

I looked at Jazmine and Sierra for help, but they shook their heads and stepped back.

Great. Of course. Give me the hard question.

I took a deep breath and thought for a moment. Charlotte's blue eyes were staring at me intently. She didn't want a simple 'you go to heaven', she wanted a real answer.

"Well," I started out by saying. "None of us really know what happens when we die because I don't think any of us in this room have died. Has anyone here died?"

Hands went up around the room.

Everyone laughed. As they did, I racked my brain for an answer. I was about to give Jazmine the question, but Charlotte's blue eyes compelled me to go on.

"Heaven is incomprehensible," I said slowly, thinking through my answer. "Which means we can't even begin to picture it in our minds. But this is what I think happens when we go to heaven. Sometimes when I feel alone I can feel God's presence moving around me and it feels kind of like God is giving me a giant hug. The air around me is moving, but it's not cold at all. I can feel Him around me. Usually, it's when I do things I love, like singing, or when I see the people I love, like my family. I think that heaven will be like that... only ten times better."

I looked at Sierra, who quickly took the hint and stepped forward.

"If I call your name you didn't get a solo," Sierra started.

I worked with some of the kids on their solos, including Charlotte, then on our break Sierra and Jazmine gushed over my adherent and apparent genius answer to the philosophic question of "What happens when you die?"

"You did so amazing with Charlotte's question!" Jazmine said, grinning at me.

"What would you have said?" I asked.

"Probably something like 'you see a light and go to heaven where no one ever dies or gets hurt," Jazmine said. "That's what I learned in Sunday School anyways."

"But your answer was awesome," Sierra added. "Most people probably think they're too young to get stuff like that, but you just straight up told them."

"Yeah, I'll bet adults don't tell them that a lot," Jazmine said.

"Well, when I was their age my parents and sisters gave me answers like that instead of vague concepts," I said. "They didn't care that Gabby and I were young. Charlotte wanted a real answer, not one she hears all the time. I could see it in her eyes that she would understand."

"Sadie!" Lydia called, walking up. "Hey, I need to talk to you."

I nodded and Lydia took me to the far corner away from the kids.

"It's Cici," Lydia said, her face grim. "Her fever spiked and the doctors think she may have caught some sort of virus. She doesn't have very many white blood cells left, so an infection could be deadly to her. Daniel and Rachel need to stay with her overnight and they asked if we could find a fun place for Charlotte to stay."

"I can ask my parents if she could stay with us," I offered. "If my parents aren't with my sister."

"I was hoping you'd say that," Lydia smiled. "I know she'd just love to spend the night with you. She absolutely adores you, Sadie."

I smiled and sent off a quick text to Mom asking. I knew I'd be in big trouble for this, as I didn't even tell my parents Charlotte was at camp, but I didn't care. Charlotte needed this.

Me: Daniel and Rachel are staying with Cici overnight. Can Charlotte spend the night?

Mom: Daniel's daughter?

Me: Yes.

Mom: Sadie, where did you meet Charlotte?

Me: Camp.

Mom: You didn't tell me or Dad?

I sucked in a breath and didn't respond.

Mom: Sure, we'll take Charlotte. But we will talk about this later. Am I clear?

Me: Yes ma'am.

I had no doubt we would talk about this. I knew it was a risk and I would get in trouble for asking it, but I wanted to make Charlotte feel better about Cici.

"We'll take Charlotte," I said.

"That's great," Lydia said. "Let's not tell Charlotte though. She'll know something's wrong with Cici and I want her to finish the day happy."

Mom picked me up and we ran by Charlotte's house to pack her a bag, then she took me home so I could see my sister.

"We'll talk about this with your father," Mom said in the car. I knew I was in big trouble. Mom usually just handed down our punishment and yelled a lot when we were in trouble. The last time Mom wanted to talk about something with Dad was when Gabby came home with two F's on her report card.

I was so dead.