05 | first

05

f i r s t

Is it possible that out of all the animals I could pet, I decided on a large and barbarous wolf. Even though, it turned out that the animal wasn't vicious at all. Sure there were moments when I feared it could swallow me whole, but with time, I learned to trust my furry friend.

Now, days after the wolf came to me injured and in the blink of death, we were sitting in my backyard, side by side, like old pals. I would often forget that it was a wolf I was accompanied with, not a cute puppy, and stroked its fur with my fingers. I loved the sparkes and warmth I felt whenever I touched it. And it seemed that the wolf adored it as well, judging by the fact that it almost purred when my fingertips got in contact with its furs.

Blackie, yes I named it, waited for me every day after work. We made our meetings - a routine. The wolf lays in my yard while waiting for me to take a shower and have dinner, knowing that after a few hours it will have my full attention. Every night around nine pm, I tucked a blanket and the latest book I enjoyed and went into our backyard to enjoy the night.

The first few times I did it, my father patrolled in front of the kitchen window, afraid that the predator will have my head. He used to squirm whenever my palm got too close to Blackie's nuzzle. But after almost a month with this pattern of events, even he decided to give up and learned to trust my wolf. He even returned to his research about the supernatural creatures and found new fascination in the werewolf stories connected to this town.

"Your pet isn't an ordinary wolf. He is larger in size and his teeth are bigger, but his behavior is almost human-like. He must be a werewolf. I just wish he'd show himself in his true form."

"First of all dad, Blackie is not a he, but an it. And second, even if werewolves did exist around this place, I'm sure that had been long, long ago. Just see that book that you are holding. It looks quite ancient itself."

One night during dinner, my father tried to fill my head with his craziness. He was now convinced that my wolf was a human being. Well, partly human. According to him, Blackie could turn on a full moon. How ridiculous is that?

"You can't turn into a man, now can you? My father is convinced that you are a werewolf. He is starting to drive me nuts with his ideas."

When I shared this with Blackie later that night, the wolf just nuzzled my hand. I don't know what this answer meant, but I doubted he could give back anything else. I laughed it off and went back to our usual schedule.

Most nights, I rumbled about my day. I filled Blackie's head with worries about my studies, about my work, and the troubles my father gave me. He used our friendship against me and tried to convince me the woods weren't that dangerous. He wanted to explore the pack from which Blackie came, wondering whether they were as he was, in size and appearance.

I shared with Blackie that I was worried about myself as well. When I first came into this town I promised myself that I would not be the girl I used to be. After my mother died I closed myself to the world and I wanted to change that about myself. But it seemed that it wasn't going that well - considering the fact that I was spending Friday night, sitting in a backyard with a book in my lap and accompanied by an animal. Socializing wasn't going as planned.

"Do you think it's weird that I enjoy spending my nights here more than being out, parting, and getting wasted?"

Well, of course, it was weird! The mere thought of spending any time of the day with a wolf was odd. Even though, it was a peculiar time that I was fond of.

"Maybe I should be spending my Fridays with him. I wouldn't mind that..."

Blackie listened to every word I voiced, but when this sentence came out of my mouth, his behavior changed completely. His ears perked up or forward and with the tail straight out, he indicated dominance. He bored his black irises in mine and waited for me to continue. It was the first time I mentioned him in front of Blackie.

"I'm talking about Matthias."

I told him how we met for the first time. I talked about the connection I felt when we touched briefly, the way my breath caught when my eyes met his. I couldn't explain it, but there was something else connecting them. I didn't think that the answer to my demeanor was in his handsomeness. Sure, Matthias Harper was beautiful, but our link was so much more.

"You must think I'm stupid to yearn for a guy I've only seen twice. I just want to look at him one more time and to know whether the connection is still there or I've been imagining everything."

As expected, Blackie didn't give me an answer. He just nuzzled my palm again and averted his face away from mine.

That day the café was busy like no other. The business was blooming as if everyone woke up with the cravings for our coffee and sweets. I've been on my feet for the last six hours, without a single bathroom break, but I didn't mind it. Even though my legs were killing me and I felt the itchiness of every part of my sneakers, the smell of freshly brewed coffee topped every bad thought in my mind. The sweetness in the air was enough to evaporate my exhaustion and fill my senses with joy. I learned to love the busy crowd. I enjoyed the way my coffee could make someone else's day better. Or how our muffins could calm even the gloomiest thoughts.

While wiping the front counter for the last time, that day, I daydreamed of having a place like this of my own. Someday, maybe, if the future allows it, I might even...

"We are closing! Come another day."

I called after the person who entered the café and disturbed my thoughts with the ringing of the bell hung over the door. No matter how much I love this place, some rules needed to be respected. The closing sign on the door indicated that.

I still felt the presence behind me, so I decided to face the customer. Maybe if it was a cute guy, I could bend the rules a little, and fetch him some coffee. It would only take me a few minutes, but it could be worth it. I glued the best smile I owned and turned around.

The smile froze halfway on my lips. It was not any other cute customer, but in front of me - stood the breathtaking Matthias Harper. With his cheeks rosy, his smile was almost too shy for my eyes, he voiced...

"Hi, again."

N O T E :

How did you like it? I felt so warm writing this chapter. It's so thrilling and cute! Let me know what you think about it.

Love,

THIA