Chapter 9 ➼︎ Courtship

Începe de la început

•✿︎︎•

"My what a beautiful dress you have! You are so blessed to have so many of them" gushes Meg with admiration when she spots the dresses on my bed I had been going through.

"I used to own more than this back home. But they were for parties. Events. I do not go to many events now" I say wistfully.

"Sally Moffat always hosts a Christmas gala. You can come with me and my husband" she offers.

"I shall like that. Would you like one of my dresses? I believe we are around the same size. If not I can alter the dress" I mention to her. "I can sew some"

"I know you had many dresses but not quite so many" chuckles Meg with envy.

"Would you like one?" I offer.

"Me? Oh no I cannot take one" she worries as she shakes her head.

"Come on Meg. I cannot wear all these. I would love to give you one" I reply.

"I don't know" she muddles as she admires the dresses.

"You know I do think this one is your color" I say to her. I point over to the green satin one.

"It is beautiful" she admires the dress wistfully.

"Our house maiden Beatrice overseas she used to make all these dresses for me. I got them for Christmas or my birthday. Father did like to spoil me" I chuckle.

"She did lovely work on them" says Meg.

"The green one what do you say? And the yellow?" I ask her. I actually did not care for them to much any more.

"Are you sure?" she worries. I nod.

I gift her the dresses.

I hear the horse from the mail truck clip clop for the week by the box. I wondered if we got another letter from Jo. She was good about writing back. Letters took so long to get back. We had not heard from Amy in sometime as well.

"Meg? Fiona? You have letters down here from Amy!" calls out Aunt March.

"AMY!" Meg joyfully cries with happiness.

We scrambled down the stairs.

"What a grand day! We get pies. And Fiona gifted me the most beautiful dresses from Paris. Wait until Sally Moffat sees them Marmee! And a letter from Amy!!" gushes a joyful Meg.

"So, you have decided to go to the Christmas gala after all good for you" says Marmee.

"Fiona agreed to go to the gala this year with me!" brags Meg.

"But what about John?" says a confused Marmee.

"John is coming. And I believe Laurie is coming to" speaks up Meg.

"You did not mention Laurie was coming!" I squeak.

"He always comes to big events. The Moffats tried to land Mr. Laurence but he had fancied our Jo" chuckles Meg. "Sally was furious but now she is married"

"I knew a Richard Moffat over in Paris are they any relation to them?" I wonder. "They used to live in the states. When he retired, he moved overseas" I tell her.

"Richard was Sally's grandfather yes" says Marmee.

She handed us our letters from Amy. There was a knock on the door. I see Laurie at the kitchen door. Waving and smiling. I force a smile his way to be nice.

Why he here!

•✿︎︎•

"I told Laurie that we would give his grandfather a jar of jam once they cooled off. His grandfather loves jam" mentions Marmee. She goes and welcomes Laurie into the house.