12 → "WALLS"

12 "WALLS"

Author's Note: This chapter has a Spoiler from The Death Cure and can be triggering. If you have not read TDC (The Death Cure) or the TMR books please stop reading or take precaution when reading.

(Adeline)

THE bloodshot eyes glared into hers, pinning her to her hammock. A knife was held to her throat, and she was unable to control her trembling body.

"M ... Matt." she breathed, her voice hoarse."W ... What're you —"

Matt's grip on her got tighter. "I saw you!"

Adeline's eyes widened, fear washing over her. She squirmed under his grip, which caused Matt to dig the knife deeper into her throat. "What do you mean you saw me?" she screamed. "I don't understand!"

"You're with them!" he dug the knife deeper into her throat, "You're bad! You're going to change everything! You're with them!"

Who are them? Who is he talking about?

Adeline screamed at the top of her lungs. "HELP ME!"

She was uncertain whether or not her cry for help was loud enough, so she tried to defend herself. She slowly lifted her knee up, aiming for his gut. In a split second, she jabbed her knee into his gut, causing Matt to stumble back slightly. She tipped the hammock sideways, landing on the ground with a slight Oomph! She got to her feet, peering behind her to find Matt weapon less. He regained his balance and turned on his heels, chasing after her.

"HELP!" Adeline let out another bloodcurdling scream, in which she knew would be loud enough to wake the majority of the Gladers' from their slumber. She sprinted across the Glade, getting as far as the Bloodhouse until she felt herself being pulled back. It reminded her of a week ago, when he tried to attack her. Only now he's trying to kill her. She stumbled backwards, crashing to the ground. She didn't have enough time to defend herself, because Matt had pinned her against the ground, his knees holding down her arms and her hands, while his hands locked around her throat. Her vision blurred, and she was unable to try gasp for air. Adeline tried to free her hands, but it was useless. Matt was stronger than her, leaving her unable to beat his strength. White dotted her vision; she couldn't breathe. He was practically killing her very slowly. She stared hopelessly into Matt's bloodshot eyes, feeling herself slowly drifting away from consciousness. She didn't know if she was dying, but her lungs burned and her head was spinning.

She tilted her head a little, giving herself something else — anything — to look at instead of those bloodshot eyes of her friend. She knew this wasn't Matt; Matt wouldn't do this. She watched the sky, and what felt like hours seemed to pass by, although it was only seconds. She tried to fight him again, determined that she wasn't going to die. In the corner of her eye a figure came into view, finally someone coming to her rescue. In the split second that it took, he was knocked off of Adeline and tackled to the ground to prevent him from trying to attack her again. Adeline managed to crawl away until her body gave in and she collapsed, rolling onto her back. She could barely breathe; her breathing ragged and sharp, coming out uneven as her throat and lungs burned. Her chest rose and fell, her fingers digging into the dirt, grasping handfuls of grass as she willed herself to stay conscious.