01 → "NEW LIFE"

01 "NEW LIFE"

THE box was going upwards, tossing her around like a rag doll. She hit into the sides of the box, barely able to stop being tossed around. She somewhat managed to get to her hands and knees to keep her stable, and was greeted by a disgusting stench that smelt of feet. The smell triggered her gag reflex and she felt the sudden urge to heave.

My name ... my name is ... Adeline.

That was the only thing she was able to remember about herself. Not her last name, not her middle name. She saw flashes of people, people with no faces. She couldn't remember who her mum and dad were, nor what they looked like. If she had any siblings, pets.

Why cant I remember anything?

Her memories were a dark void of nothing. She couldn't remember anything but her first name. But even her first name didn't feel right. Like it wasn't her first name and her real name had been replaced with this.

Adeline. That is my new name.

She was once more tossed, but backwards, and she hit into a metal wall, groaning in pain. She gave up, laying on her side as the metal box continued to go upwards, the sound of metal against metal. She tightly shut her eyes, wishing it would stop. It felt like hours, smashing against the metal walls, tears streaming down her cheeks. At one stage, she had had enough and flipped herself onto her back, staring up as she noticed the room getting surprisingly brighter.

"Someone help me!" she screamed. "Stop it! Anyone, please!"

But, of course, the metal shaft continued upwards, not stopping until it had made it to it's destination. She wept, feeling helpless.

She was just starting to doze off when the box lurched and stopped. She removed her arms from covering her eyes and glanced up. Then there was fear. It overcame her like a wave, and she scrambled into a sitting position, scooting backwards until she hit into the metal wall behind her. Her breathing haltered, her heart rate increasing. All she felt was fear, eating away at her insides. She waited, but didn't know what for. Then it came. A bright light, expanding as she heard voices. She watched, and then she panicked. She huddled into the corner, hiding away behind stacks of boxes. Heads peeped down at her, and she made out a boy with blonde hair staring down into the box.

"It's empty." he stated, somewhat confused. "Where's the Greenie?"

More heads peeped down into the box, not noticing Adeline as she trembled in fear in the corner of the box.

"Maybe they forgot?" another voice added in.

"Don't be a slinthead, Gally." the boy with the blonde hair scoffed at him. "It's been the same way for a year. A Greenie a month."

The boy rolled his eyes. "Shuck it, Newt." Gally grumbled at the blonde haired boy.

Shuck ... Slinthead ... Greenie ...?

Adeline stared at the group of boys staring down into the box. They still hadn't figured she was huddled into the corner of the box yet, huddling behind a stack of boxes. She wondered just how stupid these boys must be to not check inside that stupid box. If they did, they'd find her watching everything that was happening. Then, in the midst of the boys bickering, the metal doors closed shut, sealing her inside the box.